Thread: First Montana Trip Advice

Default First Montana Trip Advice

Looking into booking a week long trip to Bozeman for early August as a friend's wedding in Sun Valley was just cancelled so I have flight credit to burn. I'm planning on flying in a few days earlier than my wife so I can do some exploring, to be followed up by at least 2 days with a guide once she gets in.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for guides and fly shops to book with?

Is Bozeman a good home base for this type of trip?

Would waiting until later in the season be better timing? Unfortunately, earlier doesn't work for us so the salmon fly hatch will most likely be over.

Thanks all and hope you've been able to find some water to fish close to home.
    Last edited by SB Gaucho; 05-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Contact Dave McKee, in Bozeman, (406) 579-8116. Also check out his web site. Google Dave McKee Fly Fishing. I've used his services a number of times and have always been very satisfied. Expect to discuss the type of fishing you'd like to do, your skill levels, rivers or lakes you particularly want to fish, etc. He can connect you with top notch guides all over southwest Montana. He will also be the person to talk to about where to base yourself. Good luck.

Sounds great, thanks for the referral...I'll reach out to him today.

If you want to check out the Madison River, check in with Beartooth Fly Fishing in Cameron, MT. Outstanding fly shop and connections to guides. The owner/operator makes all the lunches for the guides and clients for the day. Top notch. Hopper fishing on the Madison in August.

Finish your day on the Madison River with dinner at the Grizzly Bar and Grill near the West Fork inlet. Open pit BBQ and awesome desserts.

Independent guide Nate Stevane. Very technical and patient. Highly sought after guide.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 05-04-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Beartooth Fly Fishing in Cameron, MT has one of the largest, high quality fly inventories in that area.

They would be a great resource in that Ennis, MT area near the Madison river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

In early August you should have many options. I would highly recommend that you contact Dave Kumlien at Montana Troutfitters, and try to coerce him into guiding you. Dave has been an Outfitter/Guide for over 40 years. So it might take some begging, but it is worth a try. My preference would be to work out of a Bozeman Fly Shop since that is where you will be staying, and Bozeman is a delightful town with great restaurants and one of the best bakeries around. If you would like recommendations for restaurants and day trip sightseeing ideas PM me.

Best, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    In early August you should have many options. I would highly recommend that you contact Dave Kumlien at Montana Troutfitters, and try to coerce him into guiding you. Dave has been an Outfitter/Guide for over 40 years. So it might take some begging, but it is worth a try. My preference would be to work out of a Bozeman Fly Shop since that is where you will be staying, and Bozeman is a delightful town with great restaurants and one of the best bakeries around. If you would like recommendations for restaurants and day trip sightseeing ideas PM me.

Best, Bob
    Is the bakery you mention the one that makes Cinnamon Rolls?

Bozeman is close enough to the Spring Creeks too.