Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Jeff's 2020 shad reports

Skunked today...and lost a fly. Getting on in the season...tiny tides too.

2 of us Fished for Shad from a boat on the American River from 6:30 pm – 9 pm these past 2 weeks with the following results:
    6/15 = 40 fish (Chartreuse Maria w/Silver Bead best fly, Bloody Maria w/Gold Bead was a close 2nd when sun up. Firecracker kept up with Chartreuse Maria when sun down. Color did not matter much with the good bite.

6/17 = 25 fish (Chartreuse Maria w/Silver Bead best when sun up, Firecracker best when sun down)
    *If we caught a big female, up to 10 fish would swirl around her as we landed her!

6/22 = 20 fish (Bloody Maria w/Gold Bead best fly. Pink w/White Bead & Chartreuse Maria did not fish nearly as well this day)
    *If we caught a big female, up to 8 fish would swirl around her as we landed her.

6/23 = 30 fish (Chartreuse Maria w/Silver Bead best fly, Ronald McDonald was a close 2nd. My first time trying RM. Will hit the vise this Winter and line the box with them. Both were good flies when sun up, Firecracker killed it when sun down, and we both had to switch to it).
    *They had bummed up the flows from 2,750 to 3,000 in the morning. Based on my past experience a 250 cfs bump may or might not affect the fishing. Lucky for us, it did not this time.
    *If we caught a big female, up to 6 fish would swirl around her as we landed her.
    Our overall numbers per day were down this year from last. BUT the size of the fish for us was not! Caught a lot bigger fish this year. Loved it.

Things seem to be finishing up, guessing bite could last about another week. Either way, I am tossing in the towel and switching over to Trout in the Sierras.

I would like to give Special thanks to Jeff C for the all the reports and sharing the flies!
    Tight Lines