Thread: Caltrout Access on Fall River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Caltrout Access on Fall River

I just received word from Caltrout that its closed. Time to start tying up some flies, I guess.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Did they indicate when they will open... looks like Gov is going to level two this coming week

PG&E also has the gate locked going out to the Rat Farm.

Would like to try the fall river for the first time this autumn. Ive heard a lot of people use small prams and anchor upstream, wondering if my 8’ pontoon could potentially work, if i could row upstream of the caltrout access and fish my way down. Bad idea? I do have an electric trolling motor for it but havent registered the boat yet with dmv.

I dont think you need to register a boat with an electric motor. I've fished it only once, a lot of people use gas motors. No gas motors allowed at Cal Trout launch though. You mentioned going upstream- good idea- if the battery quits you can row/drift downstream.
    If you go downstream you could get stranded.
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

I’m pretty sure an electric motorized pontoon, pram or boat needs to be registered.

Yes, you have to register any watercraft that is used with any motor, electric or gas.

Once you fish The Fall...

I have been fishing from my canoe on The Fall for years now and I have never used a motor. If you can move your seating on the pontoon astern a little or pack any weight you have toward the stern (you will need at least one anchor...I use two to anchor "sideways" to the current) you will gain a little more control when rowing upstream.
    The bigger potential bugaboo for you (as it is for canoes) is if the wind kicks up, regardless of current. I have had to fight to get downstream!
    For me The Fall is partly about working myself. Making sure I can do that one more time. It has always been worth the effort, even on days when I did not get a rise.

Take the pontoon and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.