Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caltrout Access on Fall River

Default Caltrout Access on Fall River

I just received word from Caltrout that its closed. Time to start tying up some flies, I guess.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Did they indicate when they will open... looks like Gov is going to level two this coming week

PG&E also has the gate locked going out to the Rat Farm.

Would like to try the fall river for the first time this autumn. Ive heard a lot of people use small prams and anchor upstream, wondering if my 8’ pontoon could potentially work, if i could row upstream of the caltrout access and fish my way down. Bad idea? I do have an electric trolling motor for it but havent registered the boat yet with dmv.

I dont think you need to register a boat with an electric motor. I've fished it only once, a lot of people use gas motors. No gas motors allowed at Cal Trout launch though. You mentioned going upstream- good idea- if the battery quits you can row/drift downstream.
    If you go downstream you could get stranded.
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

I’m pretty sure an electric motorized pontoon, pram or boat needs to be registered.

BKane is correct, California DMV says it must be registered. "Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California."

The following vessels do not have to be registered in California:
    - Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles.
    - Nonmotorized sailboats that are eight feet or less in length.
    - Nonmotorized surfboards propelled by a sail and with a mast that the operator must hold upright.
    - A ship's lifeboat (a dinghy is not a lifeboat).
    - Vessels currently and lawfully numbered (registered) by another state that are principally used outside California.
    - Vessels brought into California for racing purposes only (exempted only during races and tune-ups).

As far as pontoons going up river:
    Most pontoon boats do not go against a current to well but the Fall River is pretty slow so you could probably do it. You will need to be fairly proficient at rowing and controlling your boat. Make sure you pump up the pontoons so they are stiff maybe to 1/4 inch deflection and take advantage of slower water on the inside of a turn and reverse currents that occur in the pool eddies. I have taken my square stern canoe with an electric motor up river as far as I could go from the Cal Trout access and had no issues with current and had plenty of battery power left over. Just had an idea that you could test your proficiency at rowing upstream by going to Baum lake and row right up to the power house discharge. Make sure they have a descent discharge before you go. If you can do that then you can probably do the Fall River.

Note: What happens with a pontoon boat going against a strong current is one pontoon catches the current and it spins the boat back downstream. That would happen regardless if you had a motor or you were rowing. Pontoon boats don't have a keel to keep them straight and that's why they are so maneuverable and easy to spin/turn. Great characteristic to have in moving water going down stream not so great when fighting the wind or the current.

Regards,

Tim C.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 05-03-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks guys, will get it registered as id like to use the trolling motor for bass fishing too...i was very surprised when i heard that electric had to be registered too as i figured it was only gas motors for emissions. Good idea Tim about testing it out at baum lake, my first trip there i didnt realize there was current (or really that the lake was just a big dammed section of hat creek) and lost a float tube fin to the bottom of the lake, it was a long and uncomfortable walk back to the truck.

Once you fish The Fall...

I have been fishing from my canoe on The Fall for years now and I have never used a motor. If you can move your seating on the pontoon astern a little or pack any weight you have toward the stern (you will need at least one anchor...I use two to anchor "sideways" to the current) you will gain a little more control when rowing upstream.
    The bigger potential bugaboo for you (as it is for canoes) is if the wind kicks up, regardless of current. I have had to fight to get downstream!
    For me The Fall is partly about working myself. Making sure I can do that one more time. It has always been worth the effort, even on days when I did not get a rise.

Take the pontoon and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Yes, you have to register any watercraft that is used with any motor, electric or gas.