Thread: Baum Lake

Default Baum Lake

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in regard to the closing of Baum Lake by PG&E. As part of its licensing agreement with FERC, PG&E is mandated to provide recreational opportunities for the general public, including fishing access. In response to my complaint, FERC has begun a review of PG&E's licensing for both the Hat 1 (Baum Lake) Powerhouse and the Hat 2 (Hat Creek) Powerhouse. I have been assured that I will receive a response, as soon as the review has been completed.

It could very well the case that Baum Lake will be open by the time I hear back from FERC. PG&E has said that Baum Lake (and other recreasional areas) will be closed until at least June I (pending further review). It's the further review part that bothers me. I hate to think of going an entire summer and not being able to fish Baum Lake, or Hat Creek, for that matter.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Get ready for an uphill battle, and one you will lose.

No government agency is going to find another at fault right now over “taking actions to protect the public safety” even if the closures have no real impact on CV19.

Ricards, Hat Creek is not closed off. Baum lake parking, Cassel campground and Cassel canal parking are all closed. Also the McArthur Swamp access, Rat Farm and canal, is closed off which means only Cal Trout might be open. McCumber and North Battle creek reservoirs and campgrounds and access on the Pit river below Lake Britton are also on the closed list. There is no access to Lake Britton, State park closed off, North Shore campground and launch, Dusty Camp and the pipeline crossing are all locked off. I was at the Hat 2 parking lot yesterday and also the county park on 299 are both open. I havent tried the gates for Carbon and the Barrier access gates. I did notice that the gate to Carbon , from Hat 2 road, is open and looks like someone moved the rocks that stopped the traffic before.

Don’t just cut the locks. Weld the gates open. That send a message.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cdccopp View Post
    Ricards, Hat Creek is not closed off. Baum lake parking, Cassel campground and Cassel canal parking are all closed. Also the McArthur Swamp access, Rat Farm and canal, is closed off which means only Cal Trout might be open. McCumber and North Battle creek reservoirs and campgrounds and access on the Pit river below Lake Britton are also on the closed list. There is no access to Lake Britton, State park closed off, North Shore campground and launch, Dusty Camp and the pipeline crossing are all locked off. I was at the Hat 2 parking lot yesterday and also the county park on 299 are both open. I havent tried the gates for Carbon and the Barrier access gates. I did notice that the gate to Carbon , from Hat 2 road, is open and looks like someone moved the rocks that stopped the traffic before.
    Thanks for the update on Hat Creek. I assume then that the road into the wildlife area above the County Park on 299 is not blocked off?
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Fished McCumber Monday, Wednesday and today, no wonder it was so good. No posting of closure anywhere.

Back in the 1970s McCumber reservoir was one of our favorite places to fish.

Mel Jeffs and I would camp there with his tent trailer.

We had his 8' TP&L pram on his pickup and mine on the tent trailer.

We both had our kids along to give our wives a weekend off.

There was a big dead tree out in the lake that our kids climbed way up on and dove off of.

Sometimes we fished the mornings on McCumber , ate lunch, then drove to Manzanita Lake for the afternoon Callibaetis hatch.

Some times we would drive over to tiny lakes, Grace and Nora, to fish from the bank.

We were so lucky to have top fly fishers like Hal Janssen and Bob Quigley to guides us on our way in that neck of the woods.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Your such a warrior. This could ruin it for the future of access. The lock has been cut by local reports and the Game Warden has written tickets. Go past the gates with a vehicle and risk a ticket. Remember there is only one road in and out.

Ricards, I checked the gate going to Carbon Bridge yesterday, the locks are still on, no access. I would assume that the access to the Barrier is also locked. People are parking at the county park and walking down and up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by cdccopp View Post
    Your such a warrior. This could ruin it for the future of access. The lock has been cut by local reports and the Game Warden has written tickets. Go past the gates with a vehicle and risk a ticket. Remember there is only one road in and out.
    Warrior? Are you referring to me? If so, you're darned right! Somewhere along the line, the trout warriors of yesteryear fell along the wayside or passed on (Bob Baiocchi for one, may he Rest in Peace). Someone's gotta fight the good fight. I'll continue to advocate for the wild trout in Baum Lake, and protest against the Gatekeepers. But I would never cut a lock, deface public property, trespass, or otherwise break the law. Having said that, I appreciate the information in regards to the Hat Creek access. I've always wanted to fish the Green Drake hatch on Hat Creek. Looks like I'll be hanging tight and looking for a cloudy day in June to do that. If I hit it right, it could be heavenly...
    - John Muir