Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A first time occurrence while fly fishing!

Default A first time occurrence while fly fishing!

I was fishing a trout river with Jeff F this past weekend and had a first time awesome experience.

I decided to go with a dry/dropper rig, which I never do, anticipating a yellow sally hatch. Like clockwork
    the fish were rising everywhere from noon to 2pm.

I had a size 12 mini stimmie on top, small beadhead prince nymph on the bottom 24." I cast upstream and
    a trout hits the dry...I set up, and fish on. As I'm reeling in, it feels pretty heavy, so I think I've got a
    decent rainbow on. As I get the trout closer I can see another trout swirling below it a couple feet, so
    I thought the bottom fish is trying to eat the top trout.

Nope, as I get is closer, I notice I've hooked a 10" rainbow on the dry, and another similar size is hooked
    on the dropper fly. Two fish at the same time! I was so pumped, I yell to Jeff, lift them up out of the water
    and the bottom fish pops off. I even had my camera around my neck, but was so excited it didn't cross my mind
    to get a pic.

So all that to say, has anyone else ever caught two trout on two flies?? I'm thinking I should have played the
    lottery this past weekend.

EricO

Several times on the NF Yuba. But up there, it's almost not fair . . . the fish are so eager, not like lower Yuba.

Bob

Great story!

Default Double Hook Up....

Fun story.... I once had a double on trout in upper Sac, fast pocket water, using two brown wooly worms (size 8, Ted Fay style). Both trout were landed/released. No photos but it was witnessed.... That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great story. In a similar vein, I recall my grandmother once caught a catfish in a lake in PA by hooking the monofilament loop at the end of a snelled hook that was hanging out of the fish’s mouth. Apparently someone else had previously snapped the fish off and left the protuberance. Like a circus game.

Going forward, I definitely will start using dry/dropper. It's kinda fun using the dry as an indicator too.
    Although I need some dry shake, because after a fish or too the stimmie sank like a rock.

Lots of times we catch two Shad at a time...The problem is you need a net, the two fish actually fight each other.

Carl Blackledge

Yes, two Shad many times because the males tend to get a hardon when the female is acting like she’s having an orgasm and on the lower sac when swinging caddis dries, has happened at least half a dozen times. Always net the point fish first or have two nets.

Happens once in awhile with a Whitefish taking the nymph and during the fight a Cutt grabs the indicator fly.

I didn't even think about shad, but I can totally see that. Interesting how common it seems to be.
    I'm sold on the dry/dropper now...somehow I think the nymph is probably bouncing more naturally under
    a dry versus a heavy thingamabobber.

Cool responses and stories.