Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shad Set-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    What happens when high water comes in? Reason I say this is I have fished shad from 500 cfs up to 15k on the American. And high water requires longer casts at time. Not that a single hand rod will not work, but you will find it harder to get to fish. Had a buddy of mine fish next to me and he was running a setup like yours.... came back the next day with a two handed rod haha.

I’m also a fan of putting the fish in the net in a fast way to give it a fighting chance if it’s not being kept. I have seen scores of dead fish which can be caused be over fighting, and Mia handling. They where not even spawning. Kind of a sucky sight.

But whatever gets you on to some fish I guess... tight lines!
    Obviously I hit a nerve, yikes, I didn't even read your post, I was responding to the OP.

My suggestion was right now on AR. Not for last year, not for 2025, but now.

I am not sure why it is it takes you longer to land a fish on a single hander than it does on a spey rod? If I am fishing solo it's quite the opposite due to the netting dance, unless the single is completely underweighted for the task which a 6wt is most certainly not. Also a little confused as to why high flows affect your cast time?

As I said, I am die hard spey guy (the river Spey was literally one of the rivers I learned to fish on) and yes, like you own quite a few spey and switch rods (everything from 2-10/11 wt) but, for me, they're not the best tool for the job of small fish, high volume fishing.

I never take fish, seriously wouldn't eat anything in AR and certainly not shad and I can assure you they all swim away healthy and just as feisty as they were when they took the fly.

My setup selection has nothing to do with me getting on fish. I'll cast to the same place with a single as I would with a two hander.

You sure did not hit a nerve bud. Sorry that when we type on here at times emotions, tones of voice, or facial expressions can’t be added in to show context to a post.

I was just making a statement from my experience, especially in these past higher water years. And my point was to tell people that there are times when the fish are not stacking in the same place. And casting as different lengths is a must. Heck least year I got into a pod by having to cast out about 100-120’ that’s not very doable with a SH rod.

I have sat and watched people below me and above me get skunked, and had left early into the afternoon of fishing because their missing some info to get into shad. And regardless of the rivers we fish let’s be real here how many enjoy really getting skunked? Hahaha!

As high water part is that fish sit further out at times. Or you might end up with Grenaders out there launching big ass bobbers with weights to them scare them out of the casting zone for single hand guys. I used to fish them with a SH rod. And there where evenings where I would really struggle because of distance. I can go more into it but I don’t know if it makes a diff go you. And I never said that you can’t do it with a SH rod but that it can get a bit more challenging at times vs a two handed rod.

As for my statement about faster netting time was in regards where in your post you wrote you like to have a bit of fun fighting them. Not that a SH rod give you issues to land a shad. You can go back and reread my post I have not changed it. I was simply stating that over fighting them is no good. I have seen people that like to play with them but a bit to long. And being this is a info thread, why not add the info that over fighting them kills them. And why kill them if your not taking them home? And if you are then it’s all good.

And my post is for shad fishing in all water regardless of flow. It’s why the op posted asking what is used these days for shad. Not about right now.

Hope this give your some understanding. I was simply responding to your post so it was posted as such. Tight lines brother!
    Last edited by winxp_man; 05-07-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Gear question here. I have a 7 wt switch rod. Sounds like this might be heavy for shallower swing / lighter flies but OK for fishing deeper?

And a method approach. And I don't have a boat. So what's the best what's the best way to get started as a bank fisherman? Do I need to look for signs of fish, or just hit a certain water type? Once a spot is found, I assume it's the standard down and across swing like for steelhead(?).

I've only fished for mykiss on the American and wouldn't mind branching out a little for some potentially hot action.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Go to any access and look for a line of guys standing in the river. Squeeze in and start fishing. Same swing but on the hang, jig the fly for a bit with your off hand. Pretty simple. It's common that one or two guys will be catching the hell out of them when everyone else isn't. It's simply that they are in the right position or at the top or bottom of the "race track". If you get into some you'll probably be hooked. Hell of a grab and fight.

Trout source, I use a 7 wt switch with a 450 skagit switch line by Airflo. And a sink tip .

Smitty, Thanks for the info.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river