Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shad Set-ups?

Default Shad Set-ups?

So the last time I pursued Shad in anger (15 yrs ago), I was using a 7wt and throwing a type 4 head with Amnesia.

I'm wondering what folks are using these days.

I have a 6wt and a 7wt with Rio Outbound Shorts in type 3 and type 6. Anybody using those or something similar?

I also have a 4wt Switch rod that I really want to catch some Shad on but I don't think it can handle a sinking tip that's heavy enough for this situation...

Hoping to hear suggestions
    Thanks

If you get the right short Skagit head on there you should be able to throw fast sink tips.

Andy Guibord or Jeff Ching would be able to tell you what line system to use right now for Shad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    So the last time I pursued Shad in anger (15 yrs ago), I was using a 7wt and throwing a type 4 head with Amnesia.

I'm wondering what folks are using these days.

I have a 6wt and a 7wt with Rio Outbound Shorts in type 3 and type 6. Anybody using those or something similar?

I also have a 4wt Switch rod that I really want to catch some Shad on but I don't think it can handle a sinking tip that's heavy enough for this situation...

Hoping to hear suggestions
    Thanks
    So I have a different ideal set up for Shad. Since I definitely prefer to use 2handed rods to swing for them, I’ve been using 4 or 5wt switch rod with an intermediate Scandi Body paired with a sinking polyleader (usually extra fast). As long as you’re throwing small sized shad flies, you really don’t need the mass of a Skagit head+sink tip to turn them over, so a Scandi line + polyleader works well. I like the intermediate because it allows me to fish a bit deeper, but I’ve also used a floating Scandi head with a sinking polyleader in some riffles too.

Between the 4 and the 5wt, I favor the 5wt a bit more when it’s windy (as it often is), and I’ve had a few bigger Shad that I was happy having just a tad more backbone. A 4wt is great too, so if that’s what you have I would definitely give it a go, but of the two I like the 5wt just a tad better.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Sir,

If you have a 9 foot 7 wt rod with a set of shooting heads and use amnesia, that's all that's necessary for Shad, you don't have to go out and buy new stuff Shad fishing hasn't changed in 50 years only the equipment has. I personally use a 5 wt Loomis IMX 10 footer with amnesia and shooting heads....I catch as many as anybody else here on the Russian River...hope this helps you.

Carl Blackledge

On the American I use two handed rods exclusively. For wading I use a 6126 Sage Igniter with a Rio IShort Skagit Max head and 15 ft sink tips. Sometimes I’ll use a ACR GFR 5125 with a Scandi Body and poly leaders. From a boat I use a Helios 6110 with 30 ft of LC-13, T-11 or T-8 and a Method 6119 with a IShort Max head 15 ft sink tips.

The changes with low water that I have noticed is the groups of shad move around more. So two handed rods are the perfect tool. Why? Well what I noticed is when they move around they are at times two strips out, or four strips out.... then after you get a few you notice the group move again and are now 10-15 strips of running line out. So all this gets chaotic to do with a single hand rod. Not that it can’t be done with a SH it’s just easier by a lot with a two handed rod. I have fished some runs where you need to cast 80-90’ minimum which can be crazy to do with a SH rod cast after cast. I would say a 5wt rod min. A 4wt will wear your arms out.... I can attest to it being one year, before owning multiple two handed rods, I did run a 4wt being my 6119 TCX was broken. Boy did I miss my broken rod at the time. So I would say min 5wt. Especially early in the season when the shad fight harder.

As for lines.... for the past 4-5 seasons it’s been rio max heads appropriate to the rods and tips have been type 6 replacement tip or T-11 10’ in the mow tip department. Leader 5-6’ 10lbs ultra green.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I use an 11’ 4 wt switch for shad on the surface, and it’s perfect. I agree that a heavier rod (I use a 13’ 6 wt) when going deep is the better choice.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Lot's of good information here.

IMO which is just that. 6wt single with OBS type 3 is pretty much perfect for most of AR and 4 or 5x tippet. Spey and switch rods are fun and my true passion but not for shad. Constantly solo landing small fish with a spey rod isn't that much fun IMO. If you do use a two handed rod I'd recommend no more than a 4wt if you want to have some fun with them. AR is at 1450 cfs, you don't need much sink at all, even for the deepest holes. As Bill said, a skagit head will throw sink tips on that rod all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler76 View Post
    IMO which is just that. 6wt single with OBS type 3 is pretty much perfect for most of AR and 4 or 5x tippet. Spey and switch rods are fun and my true passion but not for shad. Constantly solo landing small fish with a spey rod isn't that much fun IMO. If you do use a two handed rod I'd recommend no more than a 4wt if you want to have some fun with them. AR is at 1450 cfs, you don't need much sink at all, even for the deepest holes. As Bill said, a skagit head will throw sink tips on that rod all day.

What happens when high water comes in? Reason I say this is I have fished shad from 500 cfs up to 15k on the American. And high water requires longer casts at time. Not that a single hand rod will not work, but you will find it harder to get to fish. Had a buddy of mine fish next to me and he was running a setup like yours.... came back the next day with a two handed rod haha.

I’m also a fan of putting the fish in the net in a fast way to give it a fighting chance if it’s not being kept. I have seen scores of dead fish which can be caused be over fighting, and Mia handling. They where not even spawning. Kind of a sucky sight.

But whatever gets you on to some fish I guess... tight lines!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"