Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your go to LowerSac Indicator Rig?

The best choice for a rod to cover both rivers all year on the bobber is a 9’6” or 10’ 6wt in my opinion. You’ll be a little nervous on a big winter trinity fish but it’s doable.

I have a 10’ z axis 6wt that is perfect. I use a 7wt salmon/steelhead rio indicator line on it.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but are there some walk and waders on the lower Sac? Never fished it, too intimidated to float it in my 8’ pontoon as its so wide, but when passing through, think in Red Bluff if I remember right, looked like some really good water to swing a fly. Don't know if those fish like a swung fly or not but I've been curious about it for years, it has such a reputation for being a drift boat river and have wondered if there's much walking and wading going on there.

Stop in at The Fly Shop in Redding, CA for good info and good flies for that great river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here is a response from veteran Nor Cal guide, instructor, fly tier, retired law enforcement, and old friend, Lance Gray.

Lance guides all those larger rivers like the Lower Sac, Lower Feather, etc.

"Bill

I like a 9'6" 6 wt rod

7wt RIO Extreme Indicator Line

I use my own indicator. You can see it on my store.

https://yhst-141289325066044.stores....indicat39.html

Lance

__________________________________________________ _____

Lance and twin brother Lincoln Gray are like family for Marilyn and I.

We all go way, way back and have a special bond.

Today, Lance, Lincoln and Tim Fox all work together guiding full time, year round in Nor Cal.

Lance's web site: http://lancegrayandcompany.com/

Lincoln's web site: https://lgflyfishingadvent.wixsite.com/website

Shop in Chico that Lincoln manages: http://www.tie-fast.com/

Tim Fox's web site: https://mrfoxoutfitters.com/

Tim Fox also guides Turkey and Hog hunting.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    The best choice for a rod to cover both rivers all year on the bobber is a 9’6” or 10’ 6wt in my opinion. You’ll be a little nervous on a big winter trinity fish but it’s doable.

I have a 10’ z axis 6wt that is perfect. I use a 7wt salmon/steelhead rio indicator line on it.

Second this. I run 6wt 99 rod with Rio salmon/steelhead 7wt. Been using that combo for years. Jaydacators 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Don't mean to derail the thread, but are there some walk and waders on the lower Sac? Never fished it, too intimidated to float it in my 8’ pontoon as its so wide, but when passing through, think in Red Bluff if I remember right, looked like some really good water to swing a fly. Don't know if those fish like a swung fly or not but I've been curious about it for years, it has such a reputation for being a drift boat river and have wondered if there's much walking and wading going on there.
    Yes. I had a drift boat years ago and fished that way but the majority of the time I wade. Winter is best because of lower flows, but it can be done.

Fluoro works better because it sinks. Mono floats. Fluoro also generally has much less stretch than mono.

My go to rig for all indicator fishing is pretty simple. 9' 5wt.

I get about 3 ft of high vis 20 lb line, slide 3-6 rubber bobber stops on the line, then the Jaydacator, then another 3-6 bobber stops. Then I Albright anywhere from 4-8 ft of 10lb Seaguar fluoro to the high vis. Then tie on a Spro Micro swivel. My weight goes above the swivel. From there you put your bugs at preferred intervals. The section with high vis allows depth adjustment.

Here is a video explaining "bobber stops"......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roWEcvHk0kI&t=269s
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

When I'm personally fishing or guiding on those waters here is what I fish with...

Lower Sac 10ft 6wt with 7wt Rio trout/steelhead nymph line I also fish this on the Feather out of Oroville, early season on the Trinity as well as early season on the American. Also a great single handed swing rod if properly lined with a Trout Skagit, great streamer rod too.

Trinity 9.5ft 7wt with 8wt Rio Trout/steelhead nymph line. This is my go to for bigger fish (winter steelhead or bigger flows on the Lower Sac) and it makes for a great single handed swing rod too. You can also striper fish and shad fish with it as well. I am not a big fan of 10ft 7wts as they are typically much stiffer than a 9.5ft 7wt and definitely heavier. Its like that added a foot onto a 9ft 8wt to make a 10ft 7wt.

NFF 10ft 5wt with 6wt Rio Trout/steelhead nymph line for indicators and 9ft 5wt with 5wt Rio Gold to throw dries. My go to rods for Yuba, Putah, LT, Truckee, upper sac, mccloud and so on.

A 5wt on the lower sac is like taking a butter knife to a gun fight. Not only are you fighting big burly bows but the flows they live in too. With a 5wt you will over play the fish and could kill them in the long run cuz you fought the fish for way to long.

Hope this helps.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Most new 9' #5 line fly rods in 4 piece are like a 6 weight rod for power so they are usually strong enough for most trout.

In my lifetime I have noticed that the best fly fishermen I know, like Hal Janssen, Chris Pasley, Bob Giannoni, Fred Gordon and Mike

McCune use a fly rod that is one or ever 2 line size smaller that what is generally recommended.

That given, they know how to fight a fish.

These guy use the smallest line size that will still deliver their fly.

I would recommend heavier rods to most beginners and intermediates though because they just don't have the casting skills yet to

cast a smaller line size.

I fished that past 40 years in the salt water and for Steelhead so it is hard to relate to need a rod heavier than a fast action #5 weight

to land a trout?

Actually the mass/weight that you are 'chucking' should determine your line size, but sometimes that is a #12 line.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958