Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your go to LowerSac Indicator Rig?

Default What is your go to LowerSac Indicator Rig?

It's time for a new dedicated indicator setup. Plan to mostly use on the Lower Sac and NFF, maybe some on the Trinity. What is your go to Lower Sac indicator rod/line combo?

Hey Ben, haven't fished the Trinity yet, but on NFF I use 9ft 6 weight with weight forward floating line, 9 ft tapered leader 3X or 4X depending on water condition and size of first fly. Couple split shot above tippet knot, then two flies. Second fly off bend of hook and smaller fly smaller tippet then up above. I like air lock indicators.

On Lower Sac out of drift boat do it different. Don't mean to name drop, but I bought a Redington Vice 9 1/2 ft. 6 weight, less than $200 and works great. Floating line weight forward and 3 or 4 foot of mono line from end of fly line to a thingamabobbber tied on with a loop knot. A guide up there explained that Flouro is not only somewhat invisible, but cuts thru the water better for less drag and more natural drift. So use about six feet of 8 or 10lb flouro with a loop knot from indicator to a small swivel with SSG egg shot above swivel then 12 to 15 inches of 3X flouro tippet to a rubber legs, then go 4X to a caddis or mayfly nymph depending on the bite. Sometimes will have both patterns under the rubber legs to search for the Hot pattern. The two loop knots to the indicator gives it a 90 degree rig. There are lots of quality fish on the Sac, but they can be picky.

I am not a guide by any means and I'm sure you will hear about different and better rigs, but that is my two cents. Good Luck with however you fish.

10' 6 or 7 wt. 7 wt if I'm fishing with a longer leader due to higher flows or fishing around salmon. I usually fish my 6 weight in the winter and spring before the flows come up. I fished my 6 weight earlier this week but may switch to the 7 since flows are approaching 10k.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

From a boat, 9’6” 6wt. that I set up specifically for bobber fishing with the Rio Xtreme Indicator line. Water loads a heavy rig like a dream.

If I am wading I choose the old standby 9’ WF 5wt.

Hoping the shelter in place is lifted soon so I can chase those football-shaped rainbows on the lower Sac.

John

9.5 ft 6 wt, set up with a WF7 floater. works like a charm and the extra length makes for easier mending and drifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    9.5 ft 6 wt, set up with a WF7 floater. works like a charm and the extra length makes for easier mending and drifts.
    10ft 5wt TFO BVK and 10ft 5wt Radian with SA GPX 6wt line.

I use 2ft of 30lb braid to a tiny swivel ( the braid does not kink but can tangle if you try to throw tight loops. Then 6-7ft of 8lb flouro, another swivel, 18in to first fly. I fish three flies on the Lower Sac

Quote Originally Posted by TroutHunter10 View Post
    10ft 5wt TFO BVK and 10ft 5wt Radian with SA GPX 6wt line.

I use 2ft of 30lb braid to a tiny swivel ( the braid does not kink but can tangle if you try to throw tight loops. Then 6-7ft of 8lb flouro, another swivel, 18in to first fly. I fish three flies on the Lower Sac
    Swivels are a must imo esp. if you run braid. Tried both and have landed with rio two tone indicator for a couple feet, then swivel. 4x from there to first fly. Kudos for running three flies, two flies and shot is enough trouble for me to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Swivels are a must imo esp. if you run braid. Tried both and have landed with rio two tone indicator for a couple feet, then swivel. 4x from there to first fly. Kudos for running three flies, two flies and shot is enough trouble for me to handle.
    A 10ft rod and good boat positioning helps. I'm by no means an expert oarsmen

Agreed, swivels, although ugly, are necessary. Three flies helps when trying to figure out what they are eating. With that said, more times than not, what they are eating in the first half of the day on the top end of your float is not what they are eating during the second half. You need to pay attention to the micro hatches on the lower sac because those fish will key in and not touch anything else.

Tim Fox said this......

"Jaydacators large. Hands down."
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Lincoln Gray