Thread: Yuba report 4/23

Default Yuba report 4/23

Fished it the last couple of days. March Browns, Caddis, Mayflies, and a few Stones coming off. 4 to 5 feet visibility. Plenty for fish to see and eat on the surface. Took most of my fish on Dry/Dropper. Not a ton of fish for me, but you got to love those Yuba "Bows". Be aware that there are construction delays on Hwy 20 from 7am to 5pm that can be lengthy.

Thanks for the report. Ran up for a day last week, visibility, which I knew I was taking a chance on, was about 18". Saw 1 rise all day, 0 takes on dry, nymph and streamer. Went big and bright a bunch, still no action. They are in there, I think it was just a bit too murky last week. The hatch was very, very sparse that day.

Yes. Tuesday evening hatch was a zoo with everything coming off, and then Wed evening, same water, hatch was almost non existent. That's fishing!

yeah the big spike in flows muddied for a surprizing amount of time. When it rains Deer Creek looks like chocalate
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

Went today 5/2. Super windy. Started seeing lots of risers around 1130am. Caught 2, missed a few more, all on a parachute Adams after 12pm.

I’m so new to this. Only my 3rd dry fly trout. Learned a lot about casting in wind today.

Fished above the HIghway 20 bridge on Wednesday of last week and had my best day EVER on the Yuba. After back to back to back skunkings out there so far in 2020 I wasn'e expecting much but i had 4 fish in hand, 1 16 incher, 2 at 18, and 1 20 inch fish. The fish are bigger than I've ever seen them on the Yuba and still every bit as fat. Caught them on my own flies too! Just started tying a few weeks ago. Olive Wooly Bugger and soft hackle caddis did the damage.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Great fish, Bob, and on your own flies. It does it get better than that. Big day. Way to go!