Thread: indicator nymph lines

Default indicator nymph lines

does anyone have any experience with the Cortland indicator nymph lines? I have a Echo Shadow 2, 10' 3wt that I want to use an indicator line on. The lightest line I could find is the Cortland WF4. Airflo also makes one but a video I watched about it said a WF4 is really a 4 3/4. Maybe too heavy for 3 wt? Thanks,

I have not used the indicator lines, but was in a similar situation a couple years back. I took an old WF3F line, reversed it and used the running line section attached to the leader. From what I read the main issue is keeping the flyline from sagging and pulling the leader into the guides. It worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by jrib View Post
    does anyone have any experience with the Cortland indicator nymph lines? I have a Echo Shadow 2, 10' 3wt that I want to use an indicator line on. The lightest line I could find is the Cortland WF4. Airflo also makes one but a video I watched about it said a WF4 is really a 4 3/4. Maybe too heavy for 3 wt? Thanks,
    From your other thread it sounds like you want to use a bobber.

A wf4 line will not cause you any issues. In fact it will help turn over a bobber and split shot easier. I overline most of my nymphing rods for just this reason.

The taper is more important. If you intend to roll cast a lot you will want a longer head. If you fish out of a boat casting overhand then a shorter head will help.