Thread: Identify and/or show me match fly...

Default Identify and/or show me match fly...

Looking for identification of these insects and closest fly to match. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200417_101936.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	15607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200417_102329.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	15606

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Precisely identifying mayfly nymphs requires some detail study and magnification. But here's my take on it:

Body proportion: abdomen longer than the thorax (tip of head to tip of wing pads), equals a swimming nymph instead of a clinging nymph. Three tails, middle being shorter than the outer. Head narrower than thorax. I assume this is recently seen on a western stream. Size based on the shot with your finger in it indicates they're 1/4 - 3/8 inches. Based on this I'd guess these are baetis family, most like baetis tricaudatis, commonly called Iron Blue Quill or Little Olive Dun. You'd do well with an olive pheasant tail nymph, or a nymph with olive hackle tails, olive dubbed body with gold rib, turkey quill wing pads and olive hackle legs. Hope this helps.

I’m not even an amateur hack when it comes to entomology, but the first pic would have me tying a pheasant tail on in a heartbeat. Size and proportion being critical of course. You could tie a more specific replica with whatever materials you wish, if you tie your own, but even a basic standard PT nymph (of the right size) will attract trout even if the body color isn’t perfect. If you don’t tie your own, yet, I’d say you’ve found the perfect reason why right there. Even if you don’t know the names of the bugs, you can still tie good representations of them.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown