Thread: indicator fly line for Echo 'Shadow 2' 10' 3wt.

Default indicator fly line for Echo 'Shadow 2' 10' 3wt.

Just bought a new rod to learn euro nymphing. Tried it out recently on my home water and because of the high flows and lots of snags Im going to use an indicator again. Question is, should I go back to a 9' rod and buy a line dedicated to indicator fishing or should I still use this 10' Shadow 2? I haven't found a dedicated indicator line in a 3 wt therefore I guess I would need to run normal floating line on it? Any suggestions are welcomed greatly.

also Cortland has a 4WF indicator line. Would that work on a 10' 3wt. I am trying to have the best of both worlds with a longer rod and the bennies of an indicator line for casting, mending etc. My home water is big so the extra rod length is a definite bonus for me.

4wf on a 10’ 3 weight should be fine i would think, i sometimes will fish a 5 on a 4, never had any problems overlining at all by just one weight. As far as it being a longer rod, i feel like a 10’ rod is also better for bobber fishing, not just euro nymphing, at least on bigger water. Ive had a hard time breaking my bobber habit when nymphing for trout, on some rivers (the pit especially) my buddy has absolutely kicked my butt on his euro rig vs me indicator nymphing...i just need to put the time in to learn how to feel the euro rig better in terms of the depth rather than just setting it with the bobber. I do think the advantage of the bobber rig is getting longer drifts further out. The bobber undoubtedly spooks some fish though in calmer water and rivers where the fish see a lot of flies day after day. In faster pocket water i dont find it matters as much.

I replied to your other thread on this topic. Just to chime in on euro nymphing, pocket water is where it really gets good. No drag on the fly from the bobber and you can go light on the tippet and heavy on the weight and bomb every nook and cranny. This is why ESN is so effective on the Pit and Upper Sac, as well as on the Truckee.