Thread: bonefish 2 Memmers 0

Default bonefish 2 Memmers 0

Funny thing happened yesterday. My son wanted to go catch a bonefish, so we hit our pond, but it was pretty late. We were setting up at 6:30pm with just about a 1/2 hour of light left. My wife was walking the dog around the pond. I could see nervous water right in front of me and my first cast I came tight to a bone, who ran and popped my 12lb leader. I told my son Luke, boy they are hungry today. He cast his fly right in front of us and set his rod down on the bridge we were standing on, I was putting on more tippet and looked down and thought how dumb to just put your rod down. Luke was trying to take his back pack off, I looked down and woosh, there went my reddington vapen rod and reel off into the pond. I yelled a couple of choice expletives and could watch my red handled 6 wt. swim away. Luke got off his shoes and jumped in the pond and began swimming for the rod. My wife yelled what happened, I was so pissed I walked over towards her and told her about the episode. She said it would make a great story. I went on about the vapen rod and how they didn't make them anymore, and how stupid her son was. We always give credit to each other when our kids do something stupid and then always take credit for how great our kids are when they do something admirable. I walked over to the truck disgusted and then Luke showed up with my rod. He said it got dark but he could see the handle moving through the water and he grabbed it but the fish ran an broke him off. He was worried about the fish dragging the rod around and getting killed. We just laughed and realized how funny the whole thing was. We are going back this evening to even the score. Luke will be fishing another rod.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up Funny. Story....

Aloha Don,.... I'm still laughing at that story. I've seen several unattended fishing outfits disappear to large fish over the years. Most are not recoverable. Luke did a great job bringing yours back in.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown