Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympus TG 4 vs. 5 vs. 6

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    With apologies to OceanSunFish for tacking on to his question:

John - can you provide a little more detail what advantages the 19mm fish eye lens is providing? Isn't the basic lens on the camera something like 24mm? I've read where a fish eye lens is useful underwater but from what little I know, the fish eye is essentially a super wide angle lens so you can include more in a shot that is very near to you. You also don't seem to be getting much distortion around the edges of those shots (like you see on most fish eye shots) - have you done anything to mitigate that? Thanks.
    No need for apologies. Great question and dialogue. Thanks for adding your inquiry. Thanks to John for sharing again. I really like the 19mm effect. I wouldn't of guessed that the picture of the Newt was with the 19mm lens. And, I thought the creature was a Salamander, not a Newt. Learn something again.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

A little off topic but here's a great site for identifying snakes, lizards, frogs, toads and salamanders here on the west coast.

http://www.californiaherps.com/salam.../t.torosa.html

If you scroll down through the photos you'll find a pair of photos looking directly down on the head of two common newts. The caption explains how to differentiate between the two, which are nearly identical otherwise. These little guys do contain some toxin which can cause some discomfort if you have cuts or scratches on your skin when handling them.

That herp site is amazing. I thought there was only one species - the California newt. I see them a lot around Putah Creek and Cache Creek and it turns out those are the California newt. The one in my photo is on the north Oregon Coast and seems likely to be the rough skinned newt.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That herp site is amazing. I thought there was only one species - the California newt. I see them a lot around Putah Creek and Cache Creek and it turns out those are the California newt. The one in my photo is on the north Oregon Coast and seems likely to be the rough skinned newt.
    Gary does a great job with that site and always appreciate good photos of reptiles and amphibians, especially when they're different or from an area not usually seen.