Thread: Olympus TG 4 vs. 5 vs. 6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Olympus TG 4 vs. 5 vs. 6

Any thoughts? The TG4 is venerable. Any significant differences between 4 or 5 or 6? Same great quality?

I know...... it's still the "pilot" not the "airplane"

Thanks.

I have a TG-5. I could not tell you the differences between the them since I have only had the 5. I mostly use it for close ups of fish and bugs and whatever. I have a 19 mm fish eye lens attachment which is very useful. I have a polarizing filter which is a little useful since I have a DSLR which I use for landscapes so I don't use the Olympus for that. It is waterproof and I have hauled it all over without breaking it which is probably the camera's best feature. It has a microscope mode which takes surprisingly good bug pictures. It has a GPS tracking mode which wears down your battery in no time so I put a piece of tape over the GPS toggle switch so it won't accidently get turned on. I took these pictures with it. I think all the first and third were taken with the 19mm lens attached. The middle shot is microscope mode.

Last edited by John H; 04-17-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Nice images man.IMHO a clip-on polarising filter is mandatory on a camera for any tropical flats fishing work,and (disappointingly) many otherwise good Point 'n Shoot cameras don't have a capacity to accept one.

Thanks John for the insight. I was hoping you would lend your experiences with the Olympus. Your pictures over the years are so much fun to look at each and every time. I was a bit confused by your statement. Did you mean to say that you have a polarize filter for the Olympus? It accepts a polarize filter? I will check the specs myself too. Thanks!

The Olympus does take filters which is one of the reasons I got it. I don’t use the polarizer much on it though because I take landscapes with another camera. Dynaflow is right that polarizers are a must have around water. It is pretty cheap so I would get it for the Olympus.

Awesome. Also looked at the specs on the website and saw the accessories.

John: Not sure if you have or not shared, but if you do have a blog that provides pictures and such, especially the travels to the Emigrant Wilderness, please share. Would be nice to see them all at once. Spectacular, plus seeing from a fisherman's POV is that much more interesting to me.

I wonder what the prospects will be this Summer for hiking into those areas.