Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monterrey Bay Salmon

Default Monterrey Bay Salmon

Hi All,

Like all of you I am doing the right thing and only dreaming of fishing these days. I really want to get out and self-isolate on a river but, I know it isn't the right thing to do. So, with all of extra time on my hands to ponder all things fishing. And, with the Salmon season about to open(maybe), I got to wondering about the salmon in the Monterrey Bay.

Question for the salmonid experts out there. Where do these salmon of the Monterrey Bay originate? They can't all be of San Lorenzo, Salinas, Carmel, Big Sur originations, can they? Are they Central Valley Fish? Are they from our northern coastal rivers? Or, is it all of the above and they are all just migratory fish chasing bait down the coast in the spring and early summer?

Be well all. We'll get through this.

J.K.

Most Monterey Bay chinook originate from Central Valley stocks, however there are many stocks that mix together and may be present including Klamath, Northern California Coast and Southern Oregon Coast.

Bob is correct. Various Chinook stocks intermingle with one another along the entire West Coast. Generally, the fish off Monterey are CV origin, but they could be from anywhere from CA to AK.

If you're really interested, there should be some CDFW reports that describe the coded wire tag (CWT) results at each major port. CWT's are small tags with unique IDs that are implanted in 25% of the hatchery-origin Chinook in CA and in 100% in the other states and BC. They do this to find out the exact question you are asking about.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

What’s the skinny on the silver salmon? Every once in a while they seem to be incidentally caught in some numbers there

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    What’s the skinny on the silver salmon? Every once in a while they seem to be incidentally caught in some numbers there
    Coho generally stay closer to home compared to Chinook. Incidental catches are more common the further north you get. I'd wager that Coho caught in Monterey are most likely Scott Creek origin, since there is a hatchery.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Thanks for that

" They can't all be of San Lorenzo, Salinas, Carmel, Big Sur originations, can they?" Nope. Klamath basin/Sac system fish,mostly Sac. There are resident silver populations in the San Lorenzo,and Scott Creek systems ,with hatchery supplementation.

This is just my opinion but based on my experience the early salmon are in Monterey bay because of the canyon or deep water being so close to the shore. As the fish move up on to the shelf and out of the deep water people start getting them in Ano Nuevo and then Half Moon Bay and then the submarine area off SF and around the Farallons, when the area was open Fanny Shoals would get a good early bite sometimes and off Bodega bay and Pt Reyes would get some early fish. As the months went on and fish moved closer to shore the hot spot will usually be off the Marin Coastline the radio towers, double point, and still later off Bolinas and Rocky Point (picked up some big Salmon at Rocky late in the year sometimes). It seems for many migratory species including Salmon and Tuna the Canyons and deep water are the highways of the Pacific. Then the Salmon move to the shelf and ultimately the river mouths as the spawning urge hits.

Remember that is just my experience I am not a fisheries biologist but it is what I go on.

Regards,

Tim C.

Someone just told me that because of the dam removals on the Rogue river their salmon runs have been excellent.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cool stuff! Thank you all.