Thread: HMH tube fly tool/Regal vise question

Default HMH tube fly tool/Regal vise question

Hi,
    Starting to dabble with tubes. I'm being blasphemous, messing with making ostrich herl hoochies for kokanee trolling. I have standard jaws on my regal vise. Gotta open them waaaaaay up to get the tube adapter in. Regal says no problem but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this tool jacking up the vise jaws, long term?

A friend bent a piece of "wire" into an "L" shape inserting the short leg in the jaws. Works fine and jaws aren't extended any more than some of the 4/0's and other stuff we shove in there.
    .....lee s.

I don't have a tube mandrel my self, and I'm cheap as heck.

I took an old dremel tool bit that had a mild taper to it, and filed the back of it flat about 3/4 of an inch long. That gave me a flat portion to stick on the vise, and use the tapered portion to slide the tube over. I used it to make some smelt tubes for oroville kings.

I like the idea of herl(chies)! Lets see what you get.

Thanks guys
    So..... herl is way more active than hoochie material. I can’t see how the herlchie would go without fouling. Maybe a layer of bucktail too? Or maybe i am overthinking it and hoochies are just fine the way they are.

Lee,

Good ideal. I am a commercial tyer and always have a lot more then one fly at a time being built, so I use 4/0 long shank hooks and cut the eyes off them and install that the same way....Works perfect

Carl Blackledge