Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Depth Video: New Float n' Fly Leader System

Default In Depth Video: New Float n' Fly Leader System

My leader rig has been changing slowly but surely over the years, and I've had plenty of time to make videos lately, so here is my most current rig/system. Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/WP6LDr7g3K0

I enjoyed it Ryan. Appreciated the work put into the presentation.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Thank you Ken! Truly means allot getting good feedback from you.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Haha Thank you Bill!! Just like I said to Ken, this type of stuff truly means allot! I greatly appreciate everything.

Great stuff Ryan! Thank you for sharing your methods. Love Float-n-Fly.

Very much appreciated Gregg. Thanks for always supporting! I know you will put the info to real good use!

Just started watching your videos Ryan, thanks for putting so much work into it. Looking forward to trying out the float n fly rigs out at berryessa and some smaller bass lakes closer to home i fish. I always thought bass in winter were so hard on the fly because theyre too deep, but maybe its a matter of stripping the fly too fast rather than letting it sit under a bobber? The large lakes in some of your videos where you were hooking them in 10’ or less of water in cold winter conditions was an eye opener for me. Been fishing poppers for bass in the spring and summer for years but dont know much about them at all, i figured they were only shallow in the warmer months. I know the purists dont like it, but ive fished rubber worms and zoom lizards on a sinking fly line with success and am curious about trying a soft plastic under an indicator this spring.

Thanks for the positive feedback Jcolin! The float n fly is absolutely deadly on Berryessa during the spring. However for whatever reason it is not a great tactic in the winter. This is not the case on Oroville, Shasta, Bullards, etc. The float n fly will produce great on these fisheries for whatever reason.

All this being said, bass on public lakes during the winter can be tricky. The takes we see on the indicators can be extremely subtle. To the point that it would be hard to detect with a streamer, especially if there is any slack or curve in the line. And covering water in the winter is critical. The float n fly gives us the abilities to both, cover water and fish a slow presentation. The boat is always moving slowly, yet the indicator is soaking in the prime water depth near the bank. And if you fish a 12' leader in clear water, you can get fish coming up from 20'+. So one can cover a wide variety of depths with the f&f.

As far as the soft plastics go, the f&f as a fly is deadly enough! Weather it's a leech under an indicator or a baitfish tied in whatever way, the tactic destroys already. If fish are present, it's rare they will turn down the fly. Hope this helps!

Couldnt use my float tube because theyve banned all boating, but fished berryessa yesterday and did pretty good with a clouser under an indicator. No smallies but got a few spots and a nice largemouth. Just used a split shot and a thingamabobber, but going to buy some of those 1/32 oz jig hooks and jaydicators from the videos you made, can see that it would make a big difference with strike detection...thanks for the help and inspiration!