Thread: Unclosure Related - Seeking Fly Line Advice

Default Unclosure Related - Seeking Fly Line Advice

Does this sound crazy? The sink tip fly line pictured, though cheap, I seem to favor more than the new AirFLo I just got. I don't even remember the brand/type of this line. Does anyone know info on it? Maybe it is just me but I seem to not favor Airflo as much as I thought I would. The Airflo, IMO, does not feel real smooth through my hand and fingers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_174940.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	15569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_175053.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	15570

Another key is that this one is a sink tip and Airflo is a floating (I think). Starting out I became familiar with sink tips, that being said that could be why I cannot seem to adjust to the floating AirFlo? I am just wondering if anyone prefers a certain fly line that aren't expensive or popular but work for their style?

I have also attached pics of the Airflo. It is a floating line right? About half way through this post I am starting to wonder what line I bought. Lol. Sixth Sense Camo if I remember. Which is weird, it is a "stillwater" line and I almost never fish stillwater.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_175329.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	15571

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

For me at least it’s almost impossible to identify a fly line just by looks in a picture.

The first one is definitely a sink tip. To assess the density/sink rate you could try to “measure” how fast it sinks in a certain depth of water in your bathtub.

The second line might be an intermediate or hover line. These are popular stillwater lines and are often camo colored like that.

I always place a small label on the reel foot or inside the spool for a reminder of what each line is, if the line isn’t labeled on the front end by the manufacturer.