Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Important notice regarding suspension/restriction of fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    If the time was just spent on the stream or lake that "may" not be a problem. How about the time when folks are not on the water? Where do they eat, fuel up and stay? Let's postpone the opening day so that all folks are able to take the best advice from the health care folks and slow down the spread of this virus.

Time to think what "may" be best for all people.
    Dick
    I will tell you about my typical day on the water in Nevada county as a “city slicker” who “dangerously” travels there from Sac.

I get up at 5...6...7 depending on the time of year.

I pack a lunch at home, fill my Jeep with gas at the local station, and drive 90’ up 80 to the Truckee. I fish all day and make it a point to avoid other people. Then, I drive home. This was true before CV19.

Sometimes, I buy lunch in Truckee instead. Since most of the restaurants are barely open, chances are I would not do that now anyways.

If this presents major risks to our healthcare system then our society is truly screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I will tell you about my typical day on the water in Nevada county as a “city slicker” who “dangerously” travels there from Sac.

I get up at 5...6...7 depending on the time of year.

I pack a lunch at home, fill my Jeep with gas at the local station, and drive 90’ up 80 to the Truckee. I fish all day and make it a point to avoid other people. Then, I drive home. This was true before CV19.

Sometimes, I buy lunch in Truckee instead. Since most of the restaurants are barely open, chances are I would not do that now anyways.

If this presents major risks to our healthcare system then our society is truly screwed.
    You do realize, of course, that this isn’t the issue of concern? If this were a reasonable description of the majority of anglers on all waters throughout the state, these discussions wouldn’t likely be taking place. For anyone here who does want some fishing options available, you will substantially increase your odds if you can:
    A) demonstrate an understanding of the need to address a serious health crisis
    B) recognize the problems and challenges our state officials are trying to address
    C) focus our comments, and actions on options that fit within those parameters.
    D) walk the walk! Act with the appropriate level of respect for others who are legitimately concerned for the health of their community. Whether you agree or not, be respectful of other people’s heath and safety.

To me, some really obvious things would include: delaying the “opening day” weekend for a few weeks to a month. Closure of parking facilities that encourage larger numbers of visitors from out of the area, closure of campgrounds, etc. My attitude is focus on local, day trips, forget about the big name “star attractions” (for now). I also fully support the notion of allowing certain counties to activate temporary closures, especially if that prevents a statewide closure.

On a related note, for those who aren’t aware; many of the closures to state parks, and BLM facilities have been in the form of closures to parking only. In other words, smaller numbers of locals may still use those areas, but it is intended to discourage the lions share of out of the area visitors. I applaud this move completely, as it has actually allowed those of us who do wish to use these lands to still do so without the hordes of people that we were seeing. In our local state park, the hiking trail has signs now directing people to use the trail in a singular direction, which substantially cuts down on interaction with other people as well. The net effect for us has been that we are able to get out more now than we could 10 days ago.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    You do realize, of course, that this isn’t the issue of concern? If this were a reasonable description of the majority of anglers on all waters throughout the state, these discussions wouldn’t likely be taking place. For anyone here who does want some fishing options available, you will substantially increase your odds if you can:
    A) demonstrate an understanding of the need to address a serious health crisis
    B) recognize the problems and challenges our state officials are trying to address
    C) focus our comments, and actions on options that fit within those parameters.
    D) walk the walk! Act with the appropriate level of respect for others who are legitimately concerned for the health of their community. Whether you agree or not, be respectful of other people’s heath and safety.
    Even though it may not seem like it from what we have been posting, you and I are not actually that far apart on this issue.

I filed public comment by email because I was unavailable to call in this morning. My comment focused on striking a balance between public risk and the need to also give people healthy outlets to tackle the mental health aspects of this pandemic. Giving people responsible access to fishing holes is an easy "win" on the latter, and the mental health area of this crisis is completely under appreciated by everyone top to bottom in government right now. About .1% of the population is being directly affected by COVID, but 100% is being directly affected by the anxiety and stress of living in the age of a pandemic.

Here's the thing though. From where I sit, COVID has quickly become a crisis wherein if you have the means of restricting access to something out in the "public" world and you are not doing so, you're being viewed as part of the problem and not part of the solution, and that is particularly true of government. I am not quite sure how we ended up in that place as a society, but here we are. I would really like to see some effort on our leaders' part, top to bottom, to actually encourage people to socially distance and recreate responsibly instead of just saying "you're safer at home". So far I am not seeing much effort on that from leaders, though the message sent by a couple of north state LEOs was a huge step in the right direction: https://ktvl.com/news/northstate-she...or-coronavirus

I don't agree that opening day needs to be delayed, maybe for some specific watersheds that we know will get pounded such a delay could be passed off as marginally appropriate, but certainly not statewide. There are thousands of miles of trout streams in this state that are not going to be mobbed even if every single person in the state had a fishing license, and every one went fishing on that day. People are too lazy to go find the majority of the places that are fishable, yet those places could be equally legally impacted by statewide or "county wide" closures or delays.

Furthermore, most places of natural congregation around the fishing activity/travel industry are already closed or restricted. Campgrounds are closed. Restaurants where people would eat on their trips are closed or take out only. Some hotels are closed. Fly and sporting goods shops are closed/online only. Anyone who travels to fish right now will be social distancing by necessity, if not by choice.

Im just as upset about a possible closure as anyone is. That said, read the article and i really hope the piece of trash that said “make a stand join the klan” is not a member of this forum. What an embarrassment, and doesnt help put case one bit with that kind of ignorant garbage.

Per an email sent today the meeting has been rescheduled for 4/15 at 10am. More info is on the CFGC website.

I have not had time to check the outcome of the hearing but the comment period was very diverse and lots of good feedback from the public and representatives of the fishing clubs around the state. Thanks to all who called in and voiced their opinion.

It definitely felt like a hearing they held “because they had to” and a certain director made some very patronizing comments at the outset of the meeting, minimizing the public’s concern even before any public comment was heard. So, I’m guessing it went forward as drafted.

Edit, I just checked and yes, it went forward unanimously.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 04-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.