Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rancho Seco/Lake Amador

Bill; I have been preaching about crappie on Clear lake to Granite Bay and Gold Country FF for a couple years. GCFF had a fishout scheduled in March that was cancelled because of Covid. 4 guys went anyway just before Clear lake closed; it had been cold and windy previously. One guy had over 35 fish, their total was 80. Many fish over 2 lb. I had 10 guys from GBFF interested in an exploratory trip; but the lake is now closed. The spring shallow water bite will probably be over before the lake reopens. Well, maybe next year.

You have me interested in going next year.

Send me a pm with phone; we can talk. Or watch Granite bay FF or Gold Country FF around Jan/Feb to see the Mar/Apr planning and dates for next spring. Or if they open the lake before June. After May/June they move deeper and sidefinder is necessary to find them at 20-30 ft deep. Besides, bass are available 0-10 feet and much more interesting.

Mike,
    The fish we got mid-March in the west end were dark and spawning. We thought uh-oh. However this w/e in the east end the fish were still bright and solid. Usually a session will produce at least one fish close-to or over 16" which puts quite some bend in your 3wt.
    Interesting to see what 3-4 warm days or 3-4 cold days do to their moods at this time of year.
    ....lee s.

I did some research on the timing......March looks popular for many.

I think an annual fish out would be cool.

Lots of videos on YouTube......torments.

I worked in a bait-n-tackle shop in West Sacramento when I was a youngster.

In the spring we sold thousands of small ~2 inch "Crappie minnows" for Clear Lake.

My boss there, Harry Boley, caught a huge 3 pound plus Crappie over in the Sacramento Bypass and had it mounted by Burnette

Brothers in Ripon, CA. His son, Paul Boley, has the wonderful mounted fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think you're right Bill. March seems to be a good month because the bass start spawning and the lake management stocks trout up to April 1st.

I went out last week and today, probably for the last time this year. Way more people getting outside to break the monotony of the stay at home recommendations. Saw a lot of pricey bass boats on the water So many types of floating fishing craft. So I used my AP with an intermediate line mostly since I discovered I like this combination best. I caught twenty two with four bass last Wednesday. Went out today and used an assortment of poles and lines. Mostly i gauged the depth of my flies and experimented with other flies. I saw damsels flying around so I tied on a small damsel fly nymph. I caught many on it but fell back to my go to mostly. I caught seven bass and twenty three others. It definitely was a hoot getting to know this lake. I look forward to fishing Seco next year.

I think we passed each other, me in a green pontoon boat. If it was you, thanks for the tip about depth. I caught four more nice Bass and lost a couple in the weeds after your suggestion. What makes fishing great, willingness to share information with a newbie. The one I hooked in front of you was my first.

It sounds like you have it dialed in

We could have some mini Kiene's fishing outings some day?

Camping at Clear Lake next Spring?

Camping at Rancho Seco is very nice too.

We had a Delta May LMB outing once or twice?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, I got my introduction to the Delta on the October 2007 Board outing. On Saturday, Paul and Robin Egan took me out in their boat. As a life long trout fisherman, Paul shocked me when he handed me a 9-wt with a floating line that looked like a cable attached to an Umpqua Swimming Frog, then told me to cast INTO the tules. Only the first of many days I spent down there with them.

Saturday afternoon I watched as Captain Jerry Neuberger turned 99 cent flip flops into foam poppers using an electric drill as a lathe. I also met Ed Wahl, David Lee, and Scott V. over beers that evening.

On Sunday, Capt. Jerry took me out on his boat and gave me guided tour of the central Delta.

I've been a Delta Striper and bass junkie ever since and have done my best to pay it forward to others. I also attended in 2008, when I was part of the tiny boat flotilla fishing in the slough and the edge of Franks Tract. We used the long-closed Lundborg Landing as our base of operations both years, I think. It was south of the Sugar Barge on Bethel Island.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.