Feeling trapped and needing exercise I went tubing last week on Rancho Seco Lake and Lake Amador. I didn’t really have expectations since I was targeting some alone time and excercise.

The two days were beautiful and quite therapeutic I never was close to anyone but the people who took my money with gloves and protective materials on themselves. I cleaned my hands with sanitizer after each encounter. Once in the water I was hundreds of feet at any one time from the closest boat or person.

So the fishing on Rancho Seco-well I look back on it and it was really good. I scored a slam, catching 10 crappie all over 3/4 of a lb even one at a pound , one smallish bass, post spawn, and one 3 1/2 lb trout. They stocked them that day. I cast and trolled an intermediate clear line with a Denny Richards AP fly. It is becoming my go to fly for all occasions. I even caught a Lahonton Cutthroat trout at Pyramid the last week it was open in shallow water on it.

Lastly, I fished Amador Lake. It’s a shadow of the fishery it used to be, as the stocking program for various reasons has dwindled into close to 40,000 lbs of fish a year. They used to put in over 250,000# in it's heyday. The one plus of their program is they do put in some great fighting fish and large too. I did manage three trout between using my type three and intermediate lines. I let them sink a bit near the middle of the lake. My biggest about three pounds. It was still a great outdoor exercise and adventure.