Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Nothing yet at Watt avenue in my experience. Hearing about them down river though. Shouldn't be long. Good choke point might be top of Watt/tip of the island

Fished one of my favorite holes down low this morning. I got there at sunrise and fished only a couple of minutes before a pair of sea lions went through the hole a couple of times. I packed it up and went to a couple of spots a little further upriver. Got one small male on a Bloody Maria. I can’t wait for more to show up

Sadly, the sea lions are not following the shelter in place guide lines.

Default Spotted one...

Actually 2. K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shad2020.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	15645  
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

I bet everyone’s wondering why I haven’t been providing an updates. The reason is that it has been dead slow for me. Except for the one small male I got on Monday I’ve been blanked every day and I have tried low, mid and up high on the A. There was an initial wave that came in last week and they are very scattered. There’re anglers trying for shad everywhere that I have fished so everyone is chomping at the bit. The main push has not arrived. I won’t worry unless it’s like this in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 04-30-2020 at 05:47 PM.

I am hanging on every word that comes out of your mouth ....................waiting waiting waiting

Motored over a school of small males on Monday. Midriver. Switched over to Stripers and caught 2 small ones and one pikeminnow. It's still coming. Just wait.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

While I was out swinging for steelies today, I got lucky to catch my first Shad of the season! I had 2 more hookups but they came off before I could tell what they were. The Shad are on the move up river!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACDDD084-3A66-4129-97CB-C0929066C896.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	15655
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

They are up the Feather in Yuba City. I saw a few people that kept a stringer full and I caught three males within an hour before sunset. Tied up a few new flies and gonna try and gettem again tomorrow. Hope they get to you guys soon!
    Keep Calm and Fly Fish
    https://keepcalmandflyfish.com/

In the big drought of the late 1970s many would go to the mouth of the Feather river in the Spring to wade on the big sand bar and fly

fish for Shad and Stripers. I remember early in the run catching many small males that did not do much fighting.

When the Sacramento and the Feather rivers are both very low you need to go there to see how cool it can be.

Lots of Stripers where caught at this time and lots of Shad....

I can think of a half dozen good stories that I have already told that are probably in our archives?

One Spring I had just finished a building a 9' #11 line, 2 piece fly rod on a yellow LamiGlass blank.

It had a full wells grip, fighting butt and fore grip for future Tarpon trips I was dreaming about.

It was a slow action with a softer tip, nothing like an 11 weight of today....more like a softer #9 today.

I had a Pflueger Supreme salt water fly reel on it which was popular in that period in time.

I wanted to try it out so I put 25' lead core head on it and went one even to the mouth of the Feather.

It was Striper time so old Joe Shirshac and I went together and waded out on the big sand bar.

We arrived at sunset because in those days the common belief was that you could not catch Stripers on a fly with the sun up?

Might have been a good size moon because we could see to wade around and fish.

A bunch of Sacramento fly fishers had been there fishing for Shad but left at sunset.

On the far side was a giant mostly sunken log in the water paralleling the bank.

A good size fish busted the surface several time next to the log eating something in the dark.

I waded our near it and cast my black 7 inch eel pattern to the area and soon hooked a good fish.

It was strong and starting jumping like a Steelhead which caught me off guard.

When I got it in and looked at it, it was a very large Smallmouth Bass.

I released it and thought that was pretty wild.....not thinking, but it was probably my person best SMB.

Back during that time in the low flows of Spring we had many eventful days and nights at the mouth of the Feather.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........