Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

They are on their way, there have been a few stuck on the Sac recently.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Some Shad history:

In the 1970s our local fly fishing club, the Californian Fly fishermen Unlimited, always had an annual Shad outing at Goethe Park (River

Bend Park today). It was probably in June when the run was in full swing.

Some of the members where in charge of getting and smoking some Shad for the outing every year.

One year I was working in West Sacramento for Harry Boley at West Capitol Rod & Gun, "the Bait Shop".

Harry went out at night in a boat with a light and netted some Shad in the outboard prop wash for the club's outing.

He then took them to a place down the river, maybe Freeport, where they smoked your Shad, traded you 2 fresh for 1 smoked.

Back then the biggest, most popular run on the river was "Upper Goethe Park". People came from all over to fish there.

It was 90% fly anglers, many from the Bay area on the weekends. There would be 50 to 100 anglers lined up.

My brother Dick and I had been catching Shad for years at the "Minnow Hole" on the Sacramento river with spinning gear.

Someone at a tackle shop/sporing goods store told us about the American river and we would fly fish there because it had snags?

I went into Sports Unlimited on Arden way and bought a complete fly fishing outfit for Shad, Steelhead, salmon and Stripers.

I went to Goethe Park on a Saturday, what an experience. We knew where it was because we rode our dirt bikes there.

You had to stand back and wait for a spot to open up so you could get in. Everyone was casting a "mile" with shooting heads.

I had been fly fishing for bass and panfish so we had some idea but it was really different with a big 9 foot 9 weight fly rod.

I thrashed away for a while with very little success. A guy who had a small travel trailer up on the bluff came back down from having a

sandwich with his wife. He asked me if I wanted some help? I said Yes, thanks. He took my outfit and cast it all the way across the

water. He said that I had a very good outfit but needed to know how to cast it. He went through a complete drill showing me all his

subtle techniques. Then he turned me loose. It was getting late in the afternoon and lots of Shad where being caught. After an hour of

trying I finally got out about 50 feet one cast and hooked a nice big Shad. That night I hooked a really hot Shad that "greyhounded"

on top down the river. Someone below me shouted" Steelhead" but it was just a very large female Shad. I was hooked from then on.

Looking back on that day I am pretty sure the guy who helped me get started was Andy Puyans from Creative Sports in Pacheco?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

And Bill,
    YOU have been helping people get started ever since.
    Thank you...
    ...lee s.

Yes Lee.....I bet you have done your share too.

That is why it is just such a fantastic sport.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill,
    Years ago, (early nineties) I used to pal around with a gentleman from Sacramento named Tom Hayter. He helped shorten the learning curve for me in a big way and introduced me to shad fishing. He used to play with video equipment and one day he showed me a video of you and him at Goethe shad fishing. I believe Tom had a big striper eat a shad he was playing and he had to follow it out of frame. Any chance you remember that? Long time ago. Probably in the eighties...

Tom Hayter was a very good fly fisher from the Greatest Generation.

Like many of these old timers he was very good to me.

He flew the B52 bombers and after retiring from the USAF he became a CPA.

I think his office was near McClellan AFB where he said he had lots of air force memorabilia and photos.

He was also into getting gold out of the cracks in the bedrock of our mountain streams in the winter.

One day he brought in a bag of gold nuggets that weighted about 10 pounds.

He was up near Forrest Hill stream fishing by himself when two scruffy looking guys, on foot, try to rob him.

Tom always carried a piston so he pulled it out and marched them into town, on foot, while he drove his SUV.

He got into float tubing and went wild for it going a lot to Pardee reservoir..

Tom took me and my dad up to Pardee once and we had a great day of float tubing with Tom's help.

I had a copy of that VHS tape / video he took many years ago by Goethe Park / Arden Pond.

He had one of the first video camera with sound and a tripod.

He set it up to show his friend or brother what Shad fishing looked like.

He was playing a Shad and a big Striper must of eaten it.

He finally had to follow it downstream out of the camera range but the sound still worked.

You could hear Tom talking and the reel screaming. Finally it broke off.

Every year during the Shad season we would play that video...lots of fun.

Tom was married to a lovely airline stewardess and they finally moved to her place in Florida for retirement.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

That's the guy! Talk about a guy that lived life to the fullest. He never stayed around the house like a lot of retired folks. Fishing, golf, metal detecting, videos, he was into something every day. The two guys up by Foresthill thought they had an easy target until they heard that Ruger Single Six go off. That was my favorite story and there were lots of good ones. Thanks for your response Bill. Brings back a lot of fond memories.

Yes, you could do a movie/documentary about his life story........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    They are on their way, there have been a few stuck on the Sac recently.
    Saw a posting today from what Im assuming is the Sac. Getting excited for the season! im either going to go skagit style on a 9' 5wt or spey casting on a 13' 7wt

Drive by the mouth of the American river near Discovery park to see if there are boats anchored there after Shad?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958