Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Waded this morning and got more than a handful. Hot fly was the my Red Headlight. Best fishing was when it was raining. Saw a bunch of anglers but not one of them hooked any. The best news was that Earle’s rod and reel were found by Karl Bly (American River Lost and Found). Karl is a kayaker who’s hobby is finding stuff in the river. Thanks Karl! Earle was stoked when he got home today!
    Some much needed good KARMA...
    I went to Karl's page to thank him and offer him a free guided salmon, steelhead or striper trip and while on his page, I saw a photo of a blue kayak his friend had capsized and lost at the SJR's. Turns out, I spotted the boat downriver while striper fishing last week. I let him know where to look for it so hopefully it will get back to its rightful owner soon... FISH ON BROTHERS! ><((((>

On another note, do shad scare away trout/steelhead when they're in a run?

Sunday I hit mid-river in perfect conditions: cloudy, showers, birds working my favorite stretch -- usually meaning the caddis are hatching (and I did see some). Yet no fish were rising and my usual caddis patterns/techniques failed (dries and swinging pupae). So I switched to some deep high-sticking with heavily weighted nymphs and started catching shad hand over fist. These were the first shad I ever caught and they seemed to take anything I threw at them: green deep sparkle caddis pupa, frenchie, a black prince-type pattern with red wire ribbing and chartreuse head, etc. Caught them both on the dead drift and at the end of the drift while the fly was rising off the bottom.
    Not a single mykiss.

Which led me to wonder if the shad had crowded/scared them out. I moved on to another section and was able to land some small hatchery trout there.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I don’t think shad push steelhead out. Halfpounders have been caught during shad runs. This year I think it’s because the water temps are so high (last year at this time it was around 54 degrees). Did a solo float today and got into double digits. Bankies and waders that I saw didn’t do well. Hot fly today was Andy’s Shady Lady!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-20-2020 at 06:30 AM.

FYI, Aron told me 2 cars had their windows smashed at El Manto this afternoon. No access is safe so either keep everything out of sight or leave your windows open and a 20 dollar bill on the passenger seat (the side most frequently broken to get to the glove compartment). I never leave anything of any value in my vehicle but I guess they could steal your registration and garage door opener then visit your home.

Yes, this has been going on for decades now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Floated today and it was slow probably due the the drop on flows (and it’s going to drop to 1250 cfs tonight). Got into double digits but it was 6 hours of work. Flies that hooked fish today were: Bloody Maria, Firecracker, Too Sexy, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. Broke another rod today fighting the last shad I hooked. That makes #4 for this run. I’m glad I have lots of backups!

Do you find that they shut off when they bump the flows up also? I'm guessing a few days of steady flows is best for them to get comfortable and active?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Floated today and it was slow probably due the the drop on flows (and it’s going to drop to 1250 cfs tonight). Got into double digits but it was 6 hours of work. Flies that hooked fish today were: Bloody Maria, Firecracker, Too Sexy, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. Broke another rod today fighting the last shad I hooked. That makes #4 for this run. I’m glad I have lots of backups!
    Interesting....the past few days have been kind of weird with the weather changes.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

You were working it today Jeff

Weather and flows definitely affects shad. Cool weather is typically not conducive to the bite (like I said if it’s not 90+ degrees it’s not shad weather) and any change in flows will affect their behavior until they settle down and rearrange where they will hold. My major concern with this run is the water temp. They are already spawning and I predict the run will be over in 3-4 weeks.