Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Floated with Earle today. It was busy on the river being a Holiday weekend and we didn’t see much catching but we put 30 to the boat. Same flies as yesterday!

Got out as the sun rose and got into a bunch. Earle showed up and we decided to do a short float in his drift boat. We ended up with over 40 for the day. Earle’s Ronald McDonald and my G3 soft hackle were the hot flies!

Alright Jeff, what in the living heck am I doing wrong?! I'm out here in the AR, in a boat, and I've watched, what seems like, a thousand fish go swimming by! I've chucked everything in my box, I've nymphed, I've swung, I've gone low, I've gone high, and I've only hooked ONE!! I'm staring at about three dozen fish within 20 feet from the boat in about two feet of water. I've fished deep water and I've fished shallow water.
    PLEASE! HELP! I'm ready to pull out my already thinning hair! Teach me o wise one! How do you do it?!? ��������
    Giving up on catching fish, much better at catching the trees behind me.

It's been hard to get them to bite especially if you can see them (they can see you). Almost every boat I’ve talked to said the same thing, they see lots of fish but they can’t get them to bite. Andy told me if you strip a fly thru them you might get one to go after your fly. Make sure you are anchored well above a pod is my only my suggestion and adjust the length of your swing ntil you start getting them. I think the biggest problem is the low flow this year. They seem to be more grabby if there is a decent current.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-26-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Wet waded today because I would have roasted in my boat. Saw a handful of other anglers in the morning but they were all gone by noon (except for Michael in his pontoon) when the heat kicked in. At 3 pm when it was 102, I was the only fool fishing. Got into double digits using the Maria, Firecracker, Ronald McDonald and G3 soft hackle.

Many years ago at the mouth of the Feather river on the sandbar some young guys were waded out to their shoulders with only their heads above the water with just the tips of their spinning rods sticking out in front of them. It was really funny......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Jeff! Seemed like everywhere we went we were sitting on top of a pod. My one grab today was a nice big hen. Came off the water water around 1045 this morning, and yes, it was hot in the boat! Talked to another drifter who said he hadn't seen many bent rods all morning. My buddy who was fishing conventional gear didn't get a grab all day.
    I will say though, it is a lot of fun to watch how the fish behave in the schools and the spawning habits.
    Giving up on catching fish, much better at catching the trees behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by lcpl.allan View Post
    Alright Jeff, what in the living heck am I doing wrong?! I'm out here in the AR, in a boat, and I've watched, what seems like, a thousand fish go swimming by! I've chucked everything in my box, I've nymphed, I've swung, I've gone low, I've gone high, and I've only hooked ONE!! I'm staring at about three dozen fish within 20 feet from the boat in about two feet of water. I've fished deep water and I've fished shallow water.
    PLEASE! HELP! I'm ready to pull out my already thinning hair! Teach me o wise one! How do you do it?!? ��������
    The flow is too slooooooow............. you're probably getting grabs (inhaling and purging) without even detecting it...... happens to many. No current, no swing/tight line..... lots of dead drifting (inhaling/purging), etc. If you retrieve your line, you may time a pull to when the fly is in their mouth. Just my $.02
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 05-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.

What OceanSunfish says....that is the general approach (was) when fishing the Russian....generally very slow water. Loooong strips....but not as fast as striper strips....and not slow like bugs.
    ....lee s.

Wet waded again today. There were a handful of other anglers in the morning but they were all gone before noon. I left early before the peak heat but got into double digits. Flies that worked today were the Ronald McDonald, G3 soft hackle, Firecracker, and Too Sexy.