Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Our weather hasn't been particular hot but it will be warmer next week....... Very hot weather and low flows may instigate further spawning....... the fish sense the need to get on with 'business' and get out of "Dodge".

I surmise the Salt Water mitigation efforts that Folsom stored water was used for the past several Springs isn't needed this Spring? The other rivers in the system are not flowing to mitigate much either. Of course, "mitigation" may have been code for something else the past few years.

Another slow day! Floated solo and there were four other boats but they were gone by mid-day. Even though shad were spotted I didn’t see any caught. Stuck it out and got into double digits. The hot flies today were the Maria, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. I heard that the evenings have been nuts with lots of anglers and boats. The low flow has resulted in a lot of congestion because there are only a few places that you can fish.

Anyone reporting about the Sacramento, Feather or Yuba river Shad runs?

Past employee of Kiene's, Brett Humphies, came down from Bishop on Tuesday to fish with Andy Guibord.

Andy said they quit a little early that evening so Brett could drive home that evening.

Partly because they caught so many Shad that Brett's wrist was soar.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Sac blew out last week due to thunderstorms in the north end of the valley. Will be fishable by this weekend. I was out 2 weeks ago in the Chico area and they were just starting to trickle in. Next few weeks should be prime.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Attempted to fish the Log Hole yesterday, but too many bank fisherman. A few were doing quite well. Then went up to Sailor Bar and got 10 in an hour, between 6 and 7, then it went dead. Caught the majority on the Bloody Maria and the remainder on the "4th of July". Some sections were quite crowded after 6 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Attempted to fish the Log Hole yesterday, but too many bank fisherman. A few were doing quite well. Then went up to Sailor Bar and got 10 in an hour, between 6 and 7, then it went dead. Caught the majority on the Bloody Maria and the remainder on the "4th of July". Some sections were quite crowded after 6 pm.
    That sounds like you were "at the right place at the right time" at sailor when you hit a pod!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Got on the water about 3, hit 8-9 in rapid succession and then it went dead.

Floated with Earle today. We got over 20 to the boat with Earle doing most of the work. The North wind came up mid-day and it was pretty brutal. We floated over a huge pod with big fish but they were in a spot you couldn’t swing. Lots of boats in front of us so we took a detour upriver and by the time we drifted down they were gone because I suspect that they did not do well. Hot fly was Earle’s Ronald McDonald.

Flow dropped again........... could hardly get the fly line to drift downstream. Not complaining.......... nice to get out. Did hook some Shad though with some tactical adjustments.

Went left when everyone when right in the mini today to avoid the raft hatch. Ended up putting in some work and got over 20. Hot flies were the Maria, Ronald McDonald and G3 soft hackle.