Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Floated again today with Earle. The holes we did well in yesterday were very spotty (they must have moved up because we saw a lot of shad in a big shallow flat on the way down to those holes). The last couple of places we stopped kicked out shad and we ended up with more to the boat than yesterday. There were fewer anglers and boats out today. Yesterday was a zoo!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-10-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Typically aren’t Saturdays and Sundays crowed? I usually fish weekdays so I can avoid the crowds but maybe I need to rethink weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Typically aren’t Saturdays and Sundays crowed? I usually fish weekdays so I can avoid the crowds but maybe I need to rethink weekends?
    One of the benefits of retirement is to be able to fish weekdays when it usually is less crowded.

The boat launches here in Central East Coast Florida yesterday were not very busy............raining, windy and Mother's Day?

Last Sunday we drove sight seeing north for about 30 miles on Hwy 1 along the Inter Coastal "Indian River Lagoon" and all the boat ramps (all free in FL) were full with vehicles and empty boat trailers parked on both side of the road.

Our local bait-n-tackle shop says they have never been so busy.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Floated in the mini today. Not many anglers except for a couple of spots. Used mostly 30 ft of T-11 and the hot flies were the Maria and the Red Lipstick. By the end it started to look like steelhead weather. Ended up with almost 30 to the boat!

Fished early this morning and got 7 before the bite shutdown. Definitely not shad weather. Went back out this evening but only fished for an hour because it was crowded and windy. Andy told me the bite was off mid river today also.

Hey Jeff,

I always hear you mention the "mini." I don't think I've ever seen it. Do you fish from it, or just beach it,
    fish from the bank, and then get back in and keep floating? That's what I've always done with my kayak.
    It's not practical to fish from because you start spinning.

Glad you're getting into them as usual...keep Chingin' 'em!

Btw, got a pic of the mini??

Here's a picture of Jeff's pontoon and my kayak when we floated two years ago.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	American 20175.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	15694  

EDawg,

Most of the time I anchor and fish from the boat. Sometimes I’ll use it as a water taxi and swing a run. I’ll text you a pic!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-13-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Fished this afternoon. I wasn’t expecting much because it’s normally slow when the flows change but I found a bucket and got into double digits. The funny part was even though I could cast over a country mile I got most most of my fish with no more than 20 ft of running out. 15 ft Type 8 sink tip and the Red Lipstick were the winning combo! FYI, it’s getting crazy busy for the evening with anglers and boats everywhere!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-14-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Went for a solo float today. Hardly anyone around because it was dreary weather. People and boats started showing up as the weather cleared. Used different flies but the overall winner was the Red Lipstick followed by the Maria. I sure wish it would warm up because if it’s not 90+ degrees it’s not shad weather.

Floated today and it was very slow. Spots that were good yesterday were not good today. No one did well that I talked to but tomorrow is another day!