Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Fished this morning not knowing that the flow was going up. It did while I started to fish and the bite totally shut off. Got a handful before I moved to a couple other spots down river where I got another handful. I saw only a few anglers all day and one jet boat that didn't stay long. Today's flies that worked: Ronald McDonald, G3, Bloody Maria and an olive Bird's Nest.

Wet waded all day yesterday, wound up getting 11, all on a Bloody Maria. It was great meeting Earl, thanks for the tips!

Floated today by myself. The bump in flow has helped and I got into double digits. 3 other boats (Ben and Happy with clients and Earle with people from work), and a few bankies. Used only two flies (Ronald and G3) and hooked the biggest hen of the week at my last stop.

What is the flow now?

Sounds like we need to get out there after work?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

1750 cfs. I heard the evenings have been good!

Waded early today and it was slow for the first hour and a half. I didn’t even get a bump! Only a few anglers and there was no one around except for a gear guy below me (who didn’t hook anything) after 9 am. I stuck it out and got into double digits. Earle was a lifesaver and showed up with a lunch for me (pb&j, fruit and a Gatorade).

Today’s flies: Bloody Maria, Ronald McDonald, G3, and Firecracker.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 05-31-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Earle and I floated today and there a lot of boats and only a few bankies. It was slow so Earle and I had to work for it. We ended up with over 30. Flies: Ronald McDonald, Red Lipstick and G3. Lines: 200 grain sink tip, 300 grain sink tip, 30 ft T-11, and IShort with 15 ft Type 8 tip.

Wet waded mid-day and got into double digits. 1255 Anderson GFR with 425 grain IShort, 15 ft Type 6 sink tip and Ronald McDonald and G3. It’s going to be hot the next 3 days so get out early or late!
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-01-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Ditto yesterday’s report but got out early and left by 1 pm. Also the Wet Pinky worked today. Here’s a summary of May 2020: Fished every day of the month and averaged 15 per day. Last year I averaged 28 per day but the flows were 8000 cfs and the water temp was 54 degrees. The lower flow and higher temps this year will probably result in the run ending before the end of this month. There’s lots of shad throughout the mid and upper river but they are not grabby.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-02-2020 at 07:18 PM.

So decided to use one fly to see if it can be done. And a no leader swap. Ended up with 130 fish landed, and 4 knots in the leader and still fishable. I bent the hook back 6-7 times in the process. Fished the same setup for 5 days. Might retire the leader and fly and frame it! Hahaha!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"