Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D55D236-F0B9-4E98-B753-5C65C623C126.jpeg 
Views:	299 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	15807

It’s a steelhead soft hackle fly.

Couldn’t fish this morning so I took the mini out for a short float this afternoon in the wind and heat. Got into double digits in a few hours. I was the only one fishing as far as I could see in both directions. Earle told me that the upper river was very crowded last night (16 anglers and 3 boats in a short stretch of river). Same fly and line as yesterday worked for me.

Floated today and it’s definitely slowing down. I only got 2 in the upper section. I saw pods of shad but you couldn’t fish it because of the bankies lobbing bobber grenades. Headed down river with my tail between my legs thinking I was going to only get a few. Found a hole that had some shad scattered through out it and got into double digits. I’m sure there’s still shad in the upper section but it’s late run antics (lockjaw during the day but grabby during the last hour of light). Get it while you can because I don’t thing they will be around in a week or so.

Went for a short float this morning before it got too hot. Met Fred who was anchored below me. He was using a floating line and when he switched to a heavy sinking line he hooked one on his first cast. I ended up getting into double digits before it shutdown mid-day. It’s really slowing down but you can still get a few if you know where to look..

Got out at sunrise in the mini and got over 20 using the G3 and 30 ft of T-8 and a 15 ft Type 8 sink tip. Went back out this afternoon with a Earle in his boat and we only got a handful. We didn’t stay until the last hour of light.

Reading over the reports from the last few years, I see Ronald Mcdonald and Red Headlight flies are good ones to throw (in addition to the beloved Bloody Maria which is my favorite). I pounded Internet Posts & YouTube for recipes with no luck. Anyone know if it has been shared somewhere? If not I understand. These could be personal and kept close to the chest.
    Tight Lines

The Ronald McDonald is Earle Sloan’s fly. It’s a Maria style fly with a yellow floss body, red wire rib and red thread head. The Red Headlight is my fly. It’s a Maria style fly with white floss body with a UV minnow belly overwrap and a red glass bead.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-21-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Earle and I did a short float mid-day and we got over 20 to the boat. It wasn’t red hot but we did work. Hot flies: G3, Ronald McDonald.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    The Ronald McDonald is Earle Sloan’s fly. It’s a Maria style fly with a yellow floss body, red wire rib and red thread head. The Red Headlight is my fly. It’s a Maria style fly with white floss body with a UV minnow belly overwrap and a red glass bead.
    Outstanding thanks. I will go to Kiene's to get all the material.
    Tight Lines