Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Solo float again today. I was surprised but the number of boats (6 besides mine). Got into double digits considering the flow was bumped up to 2500 cfs at 7 am.

Saw only one person wading, Brad W.

Bill Quinn and friend were anchored below me and they out fished me 2:1.

The Fire Dept rescue boat tore up river in the afternoon and came back down in a hurry doing chest compressions on someone. I hope he/she made it!

What’s the running total this year?

Just passed the 700 mark today. Took the mini out for a short float mid-day. It was definitely not shad weather with cool temps, wind and overcast. Got into double digits but they were scattered all over the place. One other boat and a kayak in the area I fished along with one wading angler. Only saw one other shad landed (by the boater).
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 06-12-2020 at 10:30 PM.

FYI, Joe Vasquez had his SUV and drift boat trailer stolen from Rossmoor this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    FYI, Joe Vasquez had his SUV and drift boat trailer stolen from Rossmoor this evening.
    That is horrible!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    That sucks! Joe is such a nice guy. Wee hardly know each other and yet he has always been friendly with me (a gear guy, lol) on the river.

He has even offered me cold water on hot summer days in years past.

I hope his property is recovered and the thieves are prosecuted but C'mon man, this is KALIFORNISTAN...
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 06-13-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Fished Thursday, starting out at a spot with a number of boats including Jeff Ching in his mini drifter. At his suggestion I worked my way down the run, going up to T14, but without any luck even though there were shad at my feet at one point.

After lunch I moved up river and fished a run that had been productive for the last couple of weeks but got nothing during the afternoon. So I moved down a bit to the main run without success so kept on going. Finally at the end of the run, at a drop off I started catching. Don't know whether it was the location or that it was now 5 o'clock. Anyone else experience the bite turning on about then? I was getting them in the flat just before the drop off and just into the drop off.

Got 11 there between 5 and 6:30 or so, then went back to the car for a sandwich. When I got back out it was very crowded and of course my spot was taken. So I wedged my self into the crowd for a few minutes without success and then went upstream to where I had met Earl a couple of weeks ago. Fished there until dark, getting 2, the last one on my version of a Ronald McDonald. All the rest were on Bloody Maria's.

Over the course of the season I caught about 40 fish, 1 day a week for 4 weeks, catching all but a handful on Bloody Maria's, with 2 or 3 on a 4th of July, 1 on a Tequila Sunrise and 1 on a Ronald McDonald.

Earle and I floated this afternoon. It was very slow and the shad were scattered all over the place probably due to the bump in flow to 2,750 cfs overnight. It was work by we got over 30 to the boat. I personally think the run is on a quick down slope and will be gone overnight within a couple of weeks. There was hardly anyone fishing to show how slow it’s been and we were the only boat. We saw only one other shad hooked by other anglers.

After the Shad are gone I think it will be Striper time for several months.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jeff,
    I don't know if it means anything, but we are still getting fish at Verona. Not 100 fish days but 20 fish evenings are still available.
    .....lee s.