Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba report

Default Yuba report

My brother and I made it out last Saturday to the Yuba. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the brilliant idea. It looked as crowded as a weekend WalMart parking lot. We hit the river around noon and the fish were breaking the surface all around taking March Browns. After a few strikes, I was able to land a nice football on an emerger. We eventually hiked a bit to escape the crowds. The river was now blanketed with PMD's, Skwalas and March browns and the fish were going nuts. The rises were surprisingly splashy, and after going negative on a Skwala and March Brown, I eventually switched to a dry caddis with emerger dropper. From that point onward it was a fish rodeo. From about 3pm to dark I was nailing big acrobatic Rainbows on the caddis duet. 50% on the dry and 50% on the emerger. The really odd part of the day was the fact that the trout were keyed on the caddis when I literally only saw about 3 adults all day. They must be really tasty as the other high-calorie offerings were being ignored.

FYI, my brother was nymphing most of the day with very limited success...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1521 small.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	15563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511 small.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	15562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1505 small.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	15561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1507 small.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	15564  

Thank you for the report. Nice looking fish to! Me and one of my fishing buds hit it last month and did good.
    Think it’s safe to say the Yuba is starting to come back.

Thanks for the report! It does look like a few other people had the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    My brother and I made it out last Saturday to the Yuba. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the brilliant idea. It looked as crowded as a weekend WalMart parking lot. We hit the river around noon and the fish were breaking the surface all around taking march browns. After a few strikes, i was able to land a nice football on an emerger. We eventuall hiked a bit to escape the crowds. The river was now blanketed with PMD's, Skwalas and March browns and the fish were going nuts. The rises were surprisingly splashy, and after going negative on a skwala and march brown, I eventually switched to a dry caddis with emerger dropper. From that point onward it was a fish rodeo. From about 3pm to dark i was nailing big acrobatic rainbows on the caddis duet. 50% on the dry and 50% on the emerger. The really odd part of the day was the fact that the trout were keyed on the caddis when when I literally only saw about 3 adults all day. They must be really tasty as the other high-calorie offerings were being ignored.

FYI, my brother was nymphing most of the day with very limited success...
    That looks like fun. What color of caddis were you using? I hope to get on the Yuba soon but would prefer not to add to the crowds.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Honestly I never got a good look at the natural. My dry was tan/tan with pink indicator. It was an amazing pattern that somehow made it into my fly box and that I have never used before. It never sank after 20+ fish jaws. I don’t know the name of the fly and a hog broke it off at nightfall so if anyone can ID I would appreciate the intel. The dropper was olive bodied emerger with tan wings 18” off the hook. Greased.

Seems like that lower Yuba river is usually good with all those hatches in the spring when we have a mild winter.

We have to thank those who got the good regulations on that river about 30 years ago?

Wonder post Pupa....thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That river never ceases to amaze me. The size and health of the trout are unbelievable and the hatches are prolific. The most inconceivable part is that the habitat is essentially the equivalent of a superfund site. I've read that the gold rush spoils along the lower yuba are enough to bury new york city 5' deep.

Pupa - might the caddis dry you used have been a "clown shoe caddis"? Google it and take a look....

Thanks for the report- going nuts inside but have not pulled the trigger and gone- I appear to be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Thanks for the report- going nuts inside but have not pulled the trigger and gone- I appear to be in the minority.
    You are not alone in your misery! I’ve been out to our local pond a few times (literally a 5 block walk) for bass and bluegill. It helps, but it’s not the same. It will get better though
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown