Thread: Yuba report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yuba report

My brother and I made it out last Saturday to the Yuba. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the brilliant idea. It looked as crowded as a weekend WalMart parking lot. We hit the river around noon and the fish were breaking the surface all around taking March Browns. After a few strikes, I was able to land a nice football on an emerger. We eventually hiked a bit to escape the crowds. The river was now blanketed with PMD's, Skwalas and March browns and the fish were going nuts. The rises were surprisingly splashy, and after going negative on a Skwala and March Brown, I eventually switched to a dry caddis with emerger dropper. From that point onward it was a fish rodeo. From about 3pm to dark I was nailing big acrobatic Rainbows on the caddis duet. 50% on the dry and 50% on the emerger. The really odd part of the day was the fact that the trout were keyed on the caddis when I literally only saw about 3 adults all day. They must be really tasty as the other high-calorie offerings were being ignored.

FYI, my brother was nymphing most of the day with very limited success...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1521 small.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	15563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1511 small.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	15562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1505 small.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	15561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1507 small.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	15564