Thread: Is it legal or not to fish right now?

Default Is it legal or not to fish right now?

Not sure frankly

There has been nothing changed in terms of legality. So far fishing is still open and legal. The bigger issue is with access, which is rapidly being limited. The the ethical issues are more complicated, and the intent of shelter in place guidelines (and emergency order by our governor). For me, the biggest concern (fishing wise), is that if the overall intent of these orders are not heeded, you can count on more stringent legal restrictions coming. Lots of justifications and excuses are being used by a lot of people to just do what they want to do, and that isn’t going unnoticed. Again, at this point it’s still legal, but that could easily change.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    There has been nothing changed in terms of legality. So far fishing is still open and legal. The bigger issue is with access, which is rapidly being limited. The the ethical issues are more complicated, and the intent of shelter in place guidelines (and emergency order by our governor). For me, the biggest concern (fishing wise), is that if the overall intent of these orders are not heeded, you can count on more stringent legal restrictions coming. Lots of justifications and excuses are being used by a lot of people to just do what they want to do, and that isn’t going unnoticed. Again, at this point it’s still legal, but that could easily change.

Makes sense to not push it then.

You are spot on. A week ago I watched as a dozen anglers had an impromptu tailgate party after a day of fishing. Drinking beers, passing a joint and generally having a good time. A ranger dispersed them, and on Friday the access was closed. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to getting regulations forced down our throat.

Go fish! Respect others and use a little common sense. I fished the river here in town yesterday and encountered only one other angler. He kept a safe distance downstream from me. About a hundred yards. Us old farts need a little extra room. The fish pictured was one of three that I caught.

Attachment 15551
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    Go fish! Respect others and use a little common sense. I fished the river here in town yesterday and encountered only one other angler. He kept a safe distance downstream from me. About a hundred yards. Us old farts need a little extra room. The fish pictured was one of three that I caught.

Attachment 15551
    This. Drive alone. Go fill up with gas but don’t go into the store - wash your hands. Don’t fish near anyone. Don’t hang out with your buddies at the tailgate. It’s quite easy to get some time on the river and not expose yourself or others to each other. The cops aren’t stopping people on the street. This thing is turning into more of a mental health crisis than one of disease. Stay sane and don’t be an idiot.
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 04-01-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com