Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What length are your bass flies?

Default What length are your bass flies?

Bass season is here soon, and I have enforced time to prepare. I generally fish smaller patterns early season,up to 5 to 7 inch long late in the year. Question is, how long (not hook size, how many inches long) are your best bass flies? Patterns? Do you find big fly- big fish holds?

What kind of bass?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Length of bass flies

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    What kind of bass?
    I was mostly thinking largemouth; but tell me what length and what subspecies. Stripers, LM, SM, spots

I’m curious as well. I had some good success recently on our local pond with a 3” clouser type fly for LMB, but I’m not sure if a bigger or smaller pattern would have fared any different. I have fished very little for bass, but it looks like I’m going to be doing a lot more of it for a while, so I’m hoping to learn more.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason; I've been researching for about 6 months. One interesting site is called FishNDave.com. He keeps good records; most of his large fish (he defines large as over 18 inches) are on flies 3.5 inches to 6 inches. BUT he catches fish in Oct/Nov and Mar on size 8-10 jigs/flies. I have caught larger fish, but less action,when fishing flies over 4 inches. No surprise. I've seen a study that says the most frequency of strikes come on lures (not strictly flies) for 3.5 to 4 inches. I'm hoping for more feedback from strictly fly fisher on fly length.

Quote Originally Posted by McFish View Post
    Jason; I've been researching for about 6 months. One interesting site is called FishNDave.com. He keeps good records; most of his large fish (he defines large as over 18 inches) are on flies 3.5 inches to 6 inches. BUT he catches fish in Oct/Nov and Mar on size 8-10 jigs/flies. I have caught larger fish, but less action,when fishing flies over 4 inches. No surprise. I've seen a study that says the most frequency of strikes come on lures (not strictly flies) for 3.5 to 4 inches. I'm hoping for more feedback from strictly fly fisher on fly length.
    All of that makes basic sense. I was sort of wondering if there would be variance by location, depending on size of baitfish and other food sources. But maybe that’s thinking too much like a trout angler? It seems like bass will pretty much eat whatever they want, when they want it; so maybe it’s all a moot point for larger fish?
    I’m heading out to test a few patterns this afternoon, so maybe I’ll have some feedback.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I think bass key on available bait. The hardware guys in San Diego lakes throw 12 inch trout lures in winter when rainbows are released, but by July they don't fish them much as few planters are still around. Any leftover rainbows would be very deep by July. Likewise on Clear lake, the hitch are a big bait that are usually fished seasonally. My biggest bass on Clear Lake have come in March/April on 2 inch fly when baitfish are small and insects don't have as much cover in weeds. Later in year bigger flies sem to work better on bigger fish

As far as largemouth go, i only started hooking decent siZed ones when i greatly increased the size of my flies...ive had a lot more smallies and stripers on 3-4 inch clousers, but only really small largemouth so far on such small flies. When i started fishing longer meaty flies, up to 7-8 inches long, i hooked bigger largemouth. Also, some people on here would look down on me for doing this, but the largest LMB ive ever hooked were caught on soft plastics (worms and mostly lizards during the spawn) fished on a sinking fly line. I rarely fish sub surface for bass anymore, 99% of the time i throw a popper on a floating line before and after work. Ive only hooked a couple big bass on top, but missed one last season around 5 lbs, so it is possible, but most of the ones i get on the popper are 1-3 lbs. its an absolute blast though hooking up to 20-30 fish in an evening session on top water in june. I do fish the largest poppers i can find for LMB, and considerably smaller ones for smallmouth

"I was sort of wondering if there would be variance by location, depending on size of baitfish and other food sources. But maybe that’s thinking too much like a trout angler?"
    Jason,
    I thought this was an absolute for ALL anglers. Or at least their most advantageous tool!
    We have consistently caught some fine LM's (5+lbs) on #8 dark woolly buggers (think damsel nymph) in the spring when they were being cold and lazy?
    After giving a crappie fisherman one of our 1"-1 1/2" bugs at Clearlake last spring we watched him land a 13# bass from under the dock.
    Our thoughts are that it is more "what your target is accustomed to seeing at the time" and then throwing in how opportunistic your target is known to be. Mood (water temp and spawn) too. Way too much thinking for sure for me.
    We have found 7"-9" bugs eliminate many dinks, but we wonder if some 8" dinks weren't more horny than hungry.
    .....lee s.

Lee; I was hoping to get together with you for a Clear Lake crappie trip, but the bug got in the way. Let's see what we can do when things open up again.