Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico up-date

Default Mexico up-date

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Alaska air lines, there are no restrictions at all flying in and out of Mexico, also Mexico has only had 20 deaths form the Virus.

Alaska is waving any and all fees to change dates on flights.

I think I saved around 20% on my Oasis hotel fees, due to the big drop in the value of the Peso, today the Peso is 24.24-1, last year at this time is was 19.25/1

Carl Blackledge

Be careful. The real question is how many people have been tested and is Mexico reporting the real numbers?

Default Mexico-really

[QUOTE=Carl Blackledge;195714]Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with Alaska air lines, there are no restrictions at all flying in and out of Mexico, also Mexico has only had 20 deaths form the Virus.

Alaska is waving any and all fees to change dates on flights.

I think I saved around 20% on my Oasis hotel fees, due to the big drop in the value of the Peso, today the Peso is 24.24-1, last year at this time is was 19.25/1

Mexico-really - challenge may be getting back into Cal. 14 day mandator quarantine?

Mexico - really
    challenge may be getting back into Cal. 14 day mandatory quarantine?

Who cares? I am in quarantine sitting here...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Who cares? I am in quarantine sitting here...LOL
    Lol, hard to disagree there.
    I’d still be very hesitant to travel right now for a variety of reasons, but I’d like to think maybe things will be better sometime this summer? Fall maybe? ... Winter?????
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I've heard that the Mexican government has closed the border to US and Canadian citizens.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    I've heard that the Mexican government has closed the border to US and Canadian citizens.
    I don’t think that is the case; yet. The last I heard was that the Mexican government was considering such a move, but this was prior to mutually agreeing with the US to close the land border to all “non essential travel”. I’m pretty sure that doesn’t apply to air travel. Of course this is an extremely dynamic situation, so anything could happen with little to no advanced notice.

Another issue, as “eastbayed” points out, is that it is nearly certain that the number of cases of Covid-19 is higher in Mexico than what has been confirmed. It’s possible the numbers could be much higher? This recent spring break trip to Cabo had 44 of the 70 students test positive after returning home: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/u...reak-cabo.html
    It is of course possible that one or more of the students might have been asymptotic prior to embarking on the trip? Either way, those students certainly would have infected a number of other tourists and locals during the trip...etc, etc, etc.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Beginning Sunday April 5 until at least April 30, all hotels in La Paz have been closed. This was post by Jonathan Roldan who lives and has a fishing business in La Paz. He also has a restaurant in town.
    I'm sure if the Mexican government hasn't closed the border it will soon happen. Why would they close down the hotels during one of the busiest holidays in Mexico.
    I'm trying to get more info about the closure.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Here's another item posted by Jonathan...
    As of last night, people were all over the malecon disregarding the edict to stay home so now the malecon has been closed indefinitely. That's why the beaches were also closed. People used the closing of schools and business to mean as "vacation time." Notice also no boat traffic. Port has been shut down. Use your mouse to scroll the whole malecon.
    Also they are now having a panick buying in all the big stores - and it's not toilet paper...guess what it is...
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator