Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac Two Day Float

Default Lower Sac Two Day Float

I did a two day float on the Lower Sac a while back and this seemed like a good time to make a post on it. I have done the trip before but it has been a few years. This time we floated from Bonneyview to Jelly's Ferry and camped one night on an island below Anderson. Lots of people have fished the Sac as a guided day trip and I have done that several times myself. The two day float is a great way to experience the river and it is kind of amazing how wild it can feel right in the middle of the Valley. I will say when you have a guide in the boat the fishing is usually pretty easy and it looks like there is nothing to it but when you don't have a guide it mysteriously gets a lot more difficult to get the fish to bite.

You don't need a lot of stuff for an overnight float. Some camping gear, a chair, firewood and an ice chest to keep your growler cold.

Wading the good spots is fun. Jelly's Ferry bridge is down there.

The pale morning dun is your friend for sure.

Flies like this catch fish if you can find a steady riser.

Not many spots on this one.

Beautiful fish. That's why people like the Lower Sac.

Tripping out on the ember trails after working on the growler.
    Last edited by John H; 03-30-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Great post as usual! Thank you!

John is that float easy in a canoe if you are used to canoeing moving water?

I think a canoe would work. There are not any big waves but there are some boils I don’t like . The lower river has some long rows but you would paddle right through them. We took the drift boat all the way to Red Bluff once. That was just too much rowing for a drift boat but a canoe would eat it up. There are a couple of good camping spots below Jellys.

The Sacramento around Redding and below is an amazing river....thanks John.

Not many rivers that you can float and camp in Nor Cal.

Maybe the lower Feather river ?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I did a two day float on the Lower Sac a while back and this seemed like a good to make a post on it. I have done the trip before but it has been a few years. This time we floated from Bonneyview to Jelly's Ferry and camped one night on an island below Anderson. Lots of people have fished the Sac as a guided day trip and I have done that several times myself. The two day float is a great way to experience the river and it is kind of amazing how wild it can feel right in the middle of the Valley. I will say when you have a guide in the boat the fishing is usually pretty easy and it looks like there is nothing to it but when you don't have a guide it mysteriously gets a lot more difficult to get the fish to bite.
    Thank you John.

I really appreciate your post during these times we're all experiencing.
    Even though your trip was "a while back", it's nice to be able to "escape" the difficulties of present.

Well done John, and please post up more if you have them.............it really helps me/us.

Bob

Hey John, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I can smell the smoke and taste the drink and feel the tug. Living life monotonously in home arrest, your post places light at the end of the tunnel. The riparian growth along the valley rivers sure hides a multitude of sins just beyond. The Jack London of Kienes Board
    Randy Lee

Thanks for the report and the pics.

I used to do trips on the sac around Woodland when I lived there and spent many a night on the boat- it was always striking how far from civilization it felt to be out there, no more than 5 minutes out.

Another great report. I had been wondering about an overnight on that section for a while, but wasn’t sure about camping options. Thanks for sharing that, I needed it!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason, lets plan an overnighter float when life returns to some semblance or normal... you and Gigi (and dogs) in the raft... me and Brandy (and dogs) in the drift boat.

Be safe... John