Thread: Putah Creek closure

Default Putah Creek closure

ATTENTION: Yolo County has closed all Fishing Accesses on Putah Creek until further notice. Violators of the order may be cited for trespassing. Yolo County Sheriff's deputies will be providing enforcement. That includes roadside parking: if you are found anywhere on the Access properties you risk citation. Part of the reason for the closure was a series of vandalism acts, including the bathrooms and public defecation at multiple locations. More than coronavirus as a health hazard. Additionally, the Cold Canyon/Stebbins Reserve hiking trail system has also been closed by UC Davis.

Thanks for the heads up....I hope it is posted.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Corornavirus is Patriot Act 2.0. Just watch what they’re willing to take away when we stand down in the name of “the greater good”. This has nothing to do with vandalism or poop or coronavirus. If it did they would also discuss their plans/thresholds for reopening.

the easy way is always to "take it away from everyone". We must be very aware of the over reaching of authorities.

Agree with beachjumper1 100%+
    ....lee s.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Corornavirus is Patriot Act 2.0. Just watch what they’re willing to take away when we stand down in the name of “the greater good”. This has nothing to do with vandalism or poop or coronavirus. If it did they would also discuss their plans/thresholds for reopening.
    I am jaded on this since my wife is from Italy and every day has multiple What's App conversations with her relatives and friends. Based on what she sees and is told, the situation is actually worse than reported. Plus, I am over 70 and have a weak immune system, so becoming infected would be very dangerous to me.

One of the problems with an emergency situation is first responders are spread very thin so in many situations (like Putah ?) it may be easier and safer for LEOs to temporarily shut them down since they cannot (should not) patrol them. I love fishing Putah, but in the midst of this pandemic it is not important if it is open or closed--- as long as it will reopen when the time is right.

Even in the best times there are not enough game wardens, park rangers or LEOs dedicated to outdoor recreation areas (think American River problems). Better to shut down the outdoor recreation areas and use the personnel in combating the virus.

In Washington state, fishing was closed. Not because of fishermen possibly infecting anything but to help keep as many people as possible off the roads and at home. The less reasons people have to be out and about, the easier it is for law enforcement to do their job.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 04-02-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post

One of the problems with an emergency situation is first responders are spread very thin so in many situations (like Putah ?) it may be easier and safer for LEOs to temporarily shut them down since they cannot (should not) patrol them. I love fishing Putah, but in the midst of this pandemic it is not important if it is open or closed--- as long as it will reopen when the time is right.

Even in the best times there are not enough game wardens, park rangers or LEOs dedicated to outdoor recreation areas (think American River problems). Better to shut down the outdoor recreation areas and use the personnel in combating the virus.
    While I appreciate the efforts of every LEO and first responder in our state (and nation!) and the sentiment of your post, the fact of the matter is that there is little that the Solano County sheriffs office, CHP, and/or the DFG wardens can do to "combat the virus" or even respond to it. Hell, right now you can't even get tested if you want to barely and if you do, it will more than likely be a private company )(Google) responsible for getting it done.

Draconian measures like limiting people's outdoor activity in irrelevant ways when it comes to stopping the spread of the virus will do nothing but sow seeds of discontent and increase the impending mental health epidemic that will follow on this pandemic. If the state wants to limit outdoor gatherings and the associated risk of community spread, which is the reason that Newsom has used for his actions, then closing down Putah, Ah Di Na, etc. are not going to make any measurable impact. Let's focus on the urban beaches, the highly used urban parks and trails, etc. versus this nonsense blanket approach. I live right next door to McKinley Park and I can tell you firsthand that the risk of community spread out there on a daily basis since this lock down started is several (probably dozens) of orders of magnitude greater than what would be the case at Putah. And, yet, our city leaders are encouraging people to take advantage Golf courses are open! City tennis courts. I have never seen the AR trail so crowded as I did last weekend.

The response to this pandemic is a mess from the federal level right down to the local cronies in city hall. While I do believe that California's aggressive social distancing is working and has saved us from the mess of NYC, I don't necessarily agree that it needs to be applied so heavy handedly in a blanket fashion across our state parks and recreation areas, especially those that have a historic pattern of light use and significant isolation.

And by the way, I am also posting this as a highly immune compromised person who would almost definitely end up in ICU if infected with COVID.

Anyways, see everyone at the Yuba. The other issue with shutting down Putah is that we can now have Sacramento and San Francisco's fly fishing community congregate in mass out there and actually set up a real risk of prolonging the pandemic due to our actions.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 04-02-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Kudos to PV. Closing Putah, or Clear Lake, because some individuals are idiots; it's analogous to closing a freeway because 3 people are speeding. Sure, there are not enough cops to enforce Putah; but they would be more efficient used at McKinley or AR. And of course I have resorted to exageration; that's how you make it obvious to people with a bias.