Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Sage 5120-4

Default Looking for a Sage 5120-4

Hello,
    Ive had my eye out the past year for a used sage 5120-4, 12’ 5 weight, this discontinued series of rods were called “brownie” due to the finish, from what i heard and read there were also some later ones in green. If anyone knows of any that are for sell please let me know. I know the new sage X series has something very similar, but at 1200 new and with the expired classified postings for the 5120 around 3-400, the new sage rod is unfortunately not in my budget. My 12’6 6 weight was just a bit too much rod for most of the fish i hooked on the klamath in the fall, so looking for something for smaller summer runs. Thanks

Great rod. They come up sometimes on Spey Pages. Another one to consider is the Beulah 11’7” trout spey or 12’4” onyx. I might get one before summer season starts.

You might want to consider the 1205 ACR Nova 2. If you need one to demo let me know. Sweet stick, brand new is 495 and comes with a scandi line.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Thanks very much PV and brian clemens. I actually found one last night for sale in a fly shoo in santa fe and ordered it. Price was $300, dont know if thats a good deal or not or what they really go for, but looked like it was in good condition. Will check out those other rods too, ive heard really good things about the ones both of you mentioned.
    Looking forward to having something to use for shad and klamath steelhead

Also wondering about lining it, I’ve only fished skagit heads but will be getting a scandi line for it for my Klamath trip in the fall, but hoping I can use my 400 grain commando head on this rod next month for shad...I realize this is over lining it but would that be dangerous to the rod? I saw a 300-330 recommended grain window for the 5120, mostly it’s just that money is tight and would rather not have to get another skagit head just for shad. However, don’t want to damage the rod as I’m sure it’d be hard to get replacement tips and repair work done on a discontinued model...a guy on speypages was talking about using a 450 grain head with the 5120, that seems way too heavy as I use a 425 skagit on my 12’6 6 weight.
    Thanks again, any insight into lining it would be very helpful

400 grain commando is going to be an awful lot of line for that rod, I use a 350gr on my 7wt 11' switch rod and it's a good match for throwing 8-10' of T-8 or T-11.

Look at the new SA spey lite in a 330. This has been my go to line for a while now. The other would be a 350 rio scandi body. I wouldn't do a Skagit on it. The rio scandi body is closer to a Skagit than a scandi, the SA spey lite is a compact scandi, absolutely love it on my 1255 GFR. The scandi body will turn over 10ft of t8, the spey lite loves 10ft spey versileaders.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Ill check out that line, would much rather get a Scandi line for it; only cast one once and struggled with it so i know will take some practice coming from skagit heads. Wondering if a scandi head with a fast sinking versileader would get me deep enough for shad though. Thanks guys for your help with this

Scandi body is a great transitional line between skagit and full scandi

Airflo Rage is also good/similar

I’ve had good luck with shad on scandi body with a versi leader personally.

The scandi body is a good all around line, casts more like a Skagit than a scandi, very versatile, great stepping stone from Skagit to scandi. It will turn over 10ft of t8 and a good caster can put 10ft of t11 on and cast it. The sa spey lite is the perfect transitional line between the scandi body and a scandi, it's a true compact scandi. Being 330gr at 25ft compared to a scandi of 330 at 31ft it's a much easier scandi style head to cast, the scandi body is only 23ft, much like a skagit. I dont cast many Skagits anymore unless I'm pushing some t14 t17 or t20. I'm either fishing the new spey lite, 75% of the time, scandi body 15% or a full scandi line 10%. All depends on application, fly or depth I want to fish.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    www.norcalflyguides.com

~ Sue Kreutzer