Thread: I prefer to fly fish "top water" for everything I can........

Default I prefer to fly fish "top water" for everything I can........

Being older now, weird and kind of spoiled, I fish "top water" most of the time, for everything?

I was heavily influenced by Chuck Campana, one of the best fly fishers I know.

Some years ago he told me he prefers to fish a floating line for most everything he can.

I time all my fishing for the best top water results so it is kind of limiting. The reality is that I love to fly cast with a weight forward

floating line, a nice tapered leader and a light/unweighted fly, if possible. The takes on top are so exciting........

Captain Kevin Doran's favorite month for top water for LMB in the Delta in May so that is when I go.

Kevin Doran also showed us how to "swim" a popper for Stripers on top in the Delta.

In mid-Summer on a good year in Loreto, Baja for Dorado you can get them on poppers if it's calm.

I fish Baby Tarpon in July in the MX Yucatan very early morning with poppers and floating minnows.

In late summer in the evenings on moving water I fish top water for Smallmouth bass.

My cousin, Steve Cotta, and I fished top water for Perackbass in the Brazilian Amazon.

In October on the Tsiu river, south of Cordova, Alaska we fish top water for Silver salmon.

During the Spring tide weeks at Christmas Island in the Central Pacific we fish top water for Trevally.

Early morning in the Tropics we fish poppers for Jack Crevalle busting bait on the shore line.

Leo Gutteres taught us how to fish his poppers in a farm pond from a float tube for LMB.

If you go to Montana in the late summer, Aug/Sept, you can fish grass hopper imitations for big trout.

In Alaska streams we swim mouse imitations on top for big spotted Rainbow trout.

One very calm summer evening Jeff Putnam showed us how he skates a dry fly in the tail outs for Shad.

I love to fish dry flies on streams and lakes for trout. This takes some planning and luck to hit things right.

On the Grande Ronde river our guide, Mike McCune, showed us how he wakes a dry fly for Fall steelhead.

Many years ago Chris Pasley showed me how he dead drifted a large Royal Wulff dry fly for Dean river Steelhead.

20 years ago Klamath guide Mike Kysninski showed us how to fish unweighted little Steelhead flies for Half-pounders.

Joe Shirshac showed us how to skate small "Bomber" dry flies for Atlantic Salmon on the Miramichi river in Nova Scotia.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Right on Bill!
    The top is it , when possible.
    We used to try to be up the coast EARLY to get blue rock fish on poppers. Jacksmelt can usually be drawn up too. Carp occasionally can be enticed on top. Not glory species, but top is top.
    ....lee s.