Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPL Fiberglass Pram - Exceptional condition

Default TPL Fiberglass Pram - Exceptional condition

TPL Fiberglass Pram
    8ft with 48" beam
    Super clean. Resin in excellent shape inside and out. Minimal edge wear.
    Lightest version of the TPL with open floor layout for use with a removable crate type seat.
    Includes oars.
    Current registration and title.
    Additional photos available.
    $550
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPL Pram 6_3-23-20 (Large).jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	15510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPL Pram 8_3-23-20 (Large).jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	15509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPL Pram 3_3-23-20 (Large).jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	15508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPL Pram 2_3-23-20 (Large).jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	15507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPL Pram 1_3-23-20 (Large).jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	15506  

Last edited by Steve S; 03-23-2020 at 10:57 PM.

This is my favorite one man fly fishing pram......in the 1970s I sold them through my fly shop.

We use 8 foot oars, electric motors and up to 4 hp outboards on them.

TP&L Boats (Tom, Pat & Larry) was a little boat business in Los Gatos, California in a commercial park with a big roll up door.

Once we sold 8 of them at one time so TP&L brought all down to Sacramento in a big trailer.

Before this we were all in float tubes so this day change the lives of 8 Sacramento fly fishers forever.

The hull shape was actually stolen from Olympia Boats built up near Seattle, WA by Columbia Fiberglass Company.

This "stealing" goes on all over the world, especially in Third World Countries......it is called "splashing a mold".

They had an 8 foot and a 10 foot fiberglass pram.

Ones in this condition are very rare now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I use to have 3 of them. Great boat for fishing the Smith back in the late 70's. I also use to fish the San Lorenzo River with the same pram. It was light enough to carry over the rock leeve. The last one I sold was a Columbia pram with a Honda 2hp 4 stroke, a minn Kota trolling motor, brand new battery, trailer, oars and a few other items. Somone from up north drove all the way down to Fresno to pick it up. At one time I use to have 5 prams, I was trying to have one for every day of the week, never reached that goal. Now I have a Fish Cat float tube and a Fish Cat pontoon boat.
    Kinda miss the pram but at least I now have space in the garage
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Jay,

You've got me beat. I have four different prams that I picked picked up over time when I found them in good shape. My neighbor let me store a couple in his shop, but now he's selling the place so it's time to thin them out. I thought about keeping the TPL and splashing a mold off it as Bill described since I recently helped a friend build a kevlar and carbon fiber canoe using a 17' cedar strip canoe as a plug. The composite canoe is ultralight and super sexy with the black carbon cloth finish and I can only imagine how light and fun such a pram cast off the TPL hull would be.

Steve

Nobody makes any good cheap ($1,000?) flat bottom prams like the old Valco for flat/still water.

Before the down turn in 2008 Brian @ Sutter Marine was working on that project.

Too bad Klamath or Gregor boats would not make it for us?

There are some synthetic molded boats that are close.

When you see a used 8' or 10' pram for $500 that is a bargain.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sent you a PM.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Bump.

$500

Default Pram Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Bump.

$500
    Hi Steve,
    I have some questions about your pram. Please give me a call if it is still for sale.
    Thanks
    Will
    916-847-3970

I kinda wish I had my prams still. Especially my last one. I sold it a couple years ago... 8' with oars, trolling motor, battery, 2hp 4 stroke Honda with gas can, anchors, trailer, etc...
    The good thing is I have a lot of space in my garage now, to store my Fat Cat 4 float tube, and a 10' Fat Cat pontoon boat. I need to get a trailer at harbor freight to tow the pontoon boat. The frame is way too heavy for me to lift and play it on top of my jeep. Plus the potoons empty in the bag weigh at least 45lbs. Now that all our waters are opened for fishing and I have the weekends off from work, it's time to wet a line. Maybe I can reach my goal of 200+ days of fishing this year
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I agree Jay, the Harbor Freight trailer is a pretty good deal. I got tired of the the assembly and breakdown of my pontoon boats as wells as the effort to get them strapped to the top of my vehicle. I bought the 4 x 8 folding trailer at Hazard Fraught shortly after they were introduced and it has given me a lot of bang for the buck. I used to fold the trailer for storage but now I leave it fixed and loaded. I've pulled it behind my 4x4 down dirt roads with large boulders where the trailer tires left the dirt and the axle dragged across hunks of granite and have had little problem. This past season on the Russian some ding dong rolled on top if it while parked empty right across from the sheriff's station after we launched at Johnson's Beach. A bit of mallet work and new tail light and it is back on the road. Get a set of bearing buddies for it if you plan to get it wet on launching and you're good to go.