Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blue Backs On The American?

But they send lots of our water down south so there is no water left to have a thermocline.

We could fight for a "minimum pool" in all our reservoirs in Nor Cal to save our trout, salmon and steelhead.

There are "shutters" on Shasta Dam so they can draw off water from different depth to control the rivers temperature.

Temperatures are controlled this way for agriculture, water quality and fish.

On the lower Feather river they have the shallow Thermalito Forebay and Afterbay to warm the water for agriculture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orovil...malito_Complex
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    I think that's why the regulate the Yuba rainbows as steelhead.

Regarding water temps, I'm a little puzzled by the A. There are plenty of caddis and midges to be eaten, and if you look at the attached graph, only once in the last 10 years has it gone over 70 degrees. The last three summers it barely hit 65. So are there more trout than we think there in the summer? I know I experimented fishing in August last year and had some great days. If I'm revealing a dirty little secret about the A, I apologize, but I think there's plenty of room for us all and I'm generally in favor of more transparency instead of less. Give some info, get some info, and be responsible when you fish.
    Attachment 15568

PS Bummer, Sac County parks closed this weekend: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ar...41837191.html?

But I sense some wiggle room:

"All 29 county parks will be cordoned off starting Friday night and reopen Monday morning, Casparis said. That includes popular parks along the American River, as well as facilities like Sherman Island and Gibson Ranch.

But multi-use trails and bike paths — such as the Two Rivers Trail and the American River Parkway — will remain open for bicyclists and pedestrians," Casparis said.
    I’m one of CDFW’s greatest critics but if I’m being fair, I have to acknowledge that often their hands are tied due to the multi-agency approach to water and resource management and namely that decisions are made or not made by; the Department of Water Resources (in charge of water releases) and the Bureau of Reclamation and US Army Corps of Engineers (responsible for the Nimbus and Folsom Dams and related infrastructure).
    Often, the folks at California Department of Fish and Wildlife, who really care about our fisheries (hatchery personnel, biologists, survey crews, etc) don’t have the necessary funding and/or tools to properly manage our salmonid fisheries. For instance, on a recent tour of the Nimbus Hatchery by the Golden Gate Salmon Association, it was revealed that a temperature sensor and control device on the upstream side of Folsom Dam is broken. This apparatus is critical to providing cold water to both the hatchery and the lower American River in the fall when salmon migration and spawning is at its peak. The B.O.R. and Army Corps each task each other with the responsibility for fixing it.

I don't think we will be able to get anywhere with having "water for fish" (wasted to the ocean) unless we have big money for powerful

lobbyists and/or pass powerful water laws to protect our anadromous species?

Here in Florida we have the "Big Three" destroying our once World famous inshore fisheries with deadly diverse polluting runoff:

Big Sugar, Big Citrus and Big Dairy.

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........