Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyramid Lake Closed to Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    I spent a lot of time today looking for press releases and announcements regarding the fishing closure of Pyramid.

There's been nearly nothing anywhere online about the Paiute Tribe's decision.

I've even seen that "Tweet" appear on a guide page only to be removed after a short while.

So, what gives...........................is this for real or is somebody "speaking out of school" ???

At this point tonight, I'm starting to think maybe it's just a big "HOAX".

Bob

p.s. we just had a small after shock here in Carson City about 10 minutes ago

It is still up on the tribe’s facebook page.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    It is still up on the tribe’s facebook page.
    Thanks Peter.

I don't do facebook.

Curious enough that the "official" Paiute web sites and Pyramid Ranger site have NOTHING at all about the proposed/upcoming "closure".

One would think that the RFS would have SOMETHING about the closure on their website too ..........

No, I'm not in denial, I'm just a bit skeptical with the lack of an "Official Announcement" on any of the Official Paiute Tribe website pages.

Bob

Thanks Peter.

I don't do facebook.

Curious enough that the "official" Paiute web sites and Pyramid Ranger site have NOTHING at all about the proposed/upcoming "closure".

One would think that the RFS would have SOMETHING about the closure on their website too ..........

No, I'm not in denial, I'm just a bit skeptical with the lack of an "Official Announcement" on any of the Official Paiute Tribe website pages.

Bob
    The real test will be on Monday. I hope it is still open. This was my first season to fish Pyramid and I will definitely miss it.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Copy & pasted from their F.B. page dated March 20 @ 19:39

"The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe just passed a motion to close the lake to all activities (fishing, camping, day use, boating, etc.) on Monday, March 23, 2020. Fishing is currently allowed for the weekend of March 21st and 22nd. The date to re-open has not been declared at this moment.

This includes the rivers that flow through the reservation boundaries.

‪As fishing is allowed for the weekend, the online permit site will remain open until Monday,March 23rd - all PLPT stores have shut down their permit selling at the moment. This includes the Pyramid Lake Lodge."

Default Pyramid update

I spent a lot of time today looking for press releases and official announcements regarding the fishing closure of Pyramid.

There's been nearly nothing anywhere online about the Paiute Tribe's decision.

I've even seen that "Tweet" appear on a guide page only to be removed after a short while.

So, what gives...........................is this for real or is somebody "speaking out of school" ???

At this point tonight, I'm starting to think maybe it's just a big "HOAX".

Bob

p.s. we just had a small after shock here in Carson City about 10 minutes ago
    Check out yesterdays press release from Pyramid Lake tribal sight !

Quote Originally Posted by montana mike View Post
    Check out yesterdays press release from Pyramid Lake tribal sight !
    Hummmph..............

Probably a good thing to close down non-essential traffic around the lake and Sutcliffe.

But..........

This irked me for a couple of reasons when I first saw it a few weeks ago..................

https://www.facebook.com/NVHealthRes...&__tn__=EEHH-R

First, Pyramid lake is supposed to be closed to ALL fishing until further notice.........
    I take it Ms. Harry didn't have to abide by the "closed to all fishing" mandate set forth by the tribe ?????

Second, (copied from the Pyramid Lake Rangers site) The total daily TROUT limit is 2 FISH:
    One 17" to 20" and one 24" & longer
    OR two fish 17" to 20".

Only 1 fish over 24" allowed in possession.

Ms. Harry's two fish appear to be longer than 24".
    Once again, I take it Ms. Harry didn't have to abide by the "Ranger Station of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe" rules concerning slot limits

You know, if she was at the hatchery collecting "bonked fish" to distribute to the Elders, that'd be one thing, and a good one at that.

But come-on !!!!

Don't rub salt in the wounds of us that have been BANNED from fishing the lake since this Corona Crap started.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think this was done in poor taste..............

Bob

Hummmph..............

Probably a good thing to close down non-essential traffic around the lake and Sutcliffe.

But..........

This irked me for a couple of reasons when I first saw it a few weeks ago..................

https://www.facebook.com/NVHealthRes...&__tn__=EEHH-R

First, Pyramid lake is supposed to be closed to ALL fishing until further notice.........
    I take it Ms. Harry didn't have to abide by the "closed to all fishing" mandate set forth by the tribe ?????

Second, (copied from the Pyramid Lake Rangers site) The total daily TROUT limit is 2 FISH:
    One 17" to 20" and one 24" & longer
    OR two fish 17" to 20".

Only 1 fish over 24" allowed in possession.

Ms. Harry's two fish appear to be longer than 24".
    Once again, I take it Ms. Harry didn't have to abide by the "Ranger Station of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe" rules concerning slot limits

You know, if she was at the hatchery collecting "bonked fish" to distribute to the Elders, that'd be one thing, and a good one at that.

But come-on !!!!

Don't rub salt in the wounds of us that have been BANNED from fishing the lake since this Corona Crap started.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think this was done in poor taste..............

Bob
    You should probably be happy the tribe lets anyone fish the lake at all.

Since we are guests on tribal land I don't think it's in our best interest to criticize then online.
    I hope we will be welcomed back when the time is right.
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

Relax, take a deep breath.

Autumn Harry is a graduate research assistant, fish culturist for Pyramid Lake Fisheries, and a tribal member. It's her job and her lawful right to bonk fish. Due to her fisheries management skills, she is one of the reasons Pyramid Lake has the wonderful fishery it has today.

Exhale.

Well said Ralph, do the research, discuss it then make and educated statement. Could you be our president.