Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok / responsible to take a Cal trip right now?

The answer is technically no. Is any logical judge going to prosecute one for this, also no.

I fished yesterday. I’ll do it again tomorrow. There are more people on the Jed Smith trail biking and walking than there are out fishing.

So...Some really great points here. I would mention that for the first time in over a week, we took out kids up and into a creek and found solitude for a few hours today. On the way there...we saw turnout after turnout over run with hikers and mountain bikers. I don't agree that fishing isn't allowed right now as some have said. I will be fishing and getting out throughout. TBH, the only thing that has kept me from losing my shit before all of this, was outside time...and needing a lot more of it not less. We saw 1 person for 10 seconds from a distance today where we went. Cringed at all the people at the pull outs and trail heads...not 6 feet apart and walking within a foot of each other on trails. Look, the bottom line for me is be safe and smart. Too many are not. Fishing...is about my very last concern if you aren't interacting with others. The staying out of hospitals is crucial...so can't argue that at all.

Stay safe and sane folks

We decided to sneak over to the San Jose airport for a direct flight to Kona last week. There were no lines at TSA. There were only 14 passengers on our flight. I have never experienced baggage claim as I have here with no one on the flight. The island is just starting lock down. Sheltering in place in paradise is fairly easy. Drove to Volcano NP, then Hilo. Blue masks are the fashion statement for those who have access. Hawaii begins quarantining new arrivals for two weeks beginning next Thursday. Right now, we are trying to decide whether to stay an extra week or fly home. Stores are open with plenty of toilet paper. There is absolutely no traffic. Timing is everything. Yeah, it is not fishing, but there will be time for that later.

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    We decided to sneak over to the San Jose airport for a direct flight to Kona last week. There were no lines at TSA. There were only 14 passengers on our flight. I have never experienced baggage claim as I have here with no one on the flight. The island is just starting lock down. Sheltering in place in paradise is fairly easy. Drove to Volcano NP, then Hilo. Blue masks are the fashion statement for those who have access. Hawaii begins quarantining new arrivals for two weeks beginning next Thursday. Right now, we are trying to decide whether to stay an extra week or fly home. Stores are open with plenty of toilet paper. There is absolutely no traffic. Timing is everything. Yeah, it is not fishing, but there will be time for that later.
    Isn't this behavior a huge part of the problem right now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoublues View Post
    Isn't this behavior a huge part of the problem right now?!
    “No one raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood” comes to mind. In all fairness, I think the line of appropriate social responsibility has been changing fast, and most of us are struggling a bit to adjust to it; what might have seemed ok one week ago is very different from what’s responsible today... and of course there are big questions about what will be considered responsible by the end of the week. The Italians didn’t fully come to grips with initial orders early enough, and it has substantially exacerbated the problems there; I certainly hope we are smart enough to learn from their mistakes... they currently have military now deployed to enforce lockdown measures!

So far I think a lot of people are having a very hard time coming to grips with the seriousness of the situation (it’s sure thrown me for a loop!). If we don’t all do our part right now, the potential for much worse is very real (possibly even more draconian measures from government as well). My wife and have been gradually taking more and more precautions, and forgoing more and more in order to do what we can to reduce the size and scope of the impact. It sucks! On the other hand, I need to know on the other end of this that I did everything I could. I think most of those cavalier spring break partygoers are going to have a very heavy weight on their conscience down the road, something I certainly wouldn’t want to live with. The only fishing I will being doing for the foreseeable future will be stuff very close to home (most will be less than a 10 minute drive), and will only be done solo and at off times. I’m lucky to have access to a small pond within walking distance, so if nothing else I may spend a lot of time with my 3wt chasing Bluegill...
    Last edited by JasonB; 03-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

RMNP is closed here in Colorado. This Protects the people who work and volunteer in the park by not being in contact with visitors. All the restaurants bars are ether closed or pickup only in Estes Park. Looks like another storm coming in.
    Vail ( Eagle county) was hit hard by the virus from people coming in from other country’s (Australia) going skiing. So all ski areas are closed now. Steamboat had over 300 inches of snow, so they will loose a lot of money closing early.
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 03-22-2020 at 12:35 PM.

You are very right that standards for behavior are changing rapidly. I get iced tea in the morning and Tuesday the place was not very busy, Wednesday they were take out only and Thursday they were closed by government order. So far the most uncomfortable experience is the grocery store. It is impossible to stay 6 feet from other people and everyone seems uncomfortable. Some people want a lot of space and look at you like you are a leper as move toward them and some people don’t care and pass right by without concern. Everyone’s standards are a little different.

I am fishing tomorrow. I am going solo plus dog and other than a donut stop I will not have close contact with anyone.

Until then I need to get some homebrew kegged up and carbonated so supplies of beer are adequate when I get back from fishing.

This little town only has one grocery (Safeway) it’s small and packed most of the time. Estes gets millions of people traveling through, though not as much in the winter. You are right, it’s uncomfortable at best. Their is a large population of elderly here. The retirement homes and assisted living areas are locked down completely. I asked my mom if they got a inmate # tattooed on her arm. It bugs me I can’t visit but I wouldn’t want to be the carrier.

After carefully weighing all factors for about 10 seconds I went fishing Saturday on the American (20 minutes from home) and was rewarded with two 18/19-inch fish. Best day ever size-wise (excluding the winter run).
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

JasonB,
    Spot on about so much. Perhaps the biggest problem with the Italian situation is a population of
    60 million in a country about the size of Arizona. That should stress the critical importance
    of proper "social distancing."
    Stay smart and stay safe Kiene members!
    Larry S
    Sun Diego