Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok / responsible to take a Cal trip right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    "Essential activity"

Deemed necessary for life. For mental health.
    No joke really. Keeping our collective sanity is a pretty important deal right now. I would think that a lot of outdoor activities could be done in a comparatively safe manner. If it were me in charge, I would be putting a good bit of thought into what sorts of activities could still be ok, or what minor changes to others could make them substantially safer. Of course my phone has not yet begun to ring with requests for my suggestions on how to handle a pandemic... thankfully!

I think one of the big concerns is probably just wanting to reduce the number of people out driving around. Given that statically that is still far more likely to result in a visit to the hospital than most other things we do, I can see some logic to trying to cut down on that as much as possible for now. Let’s just hope that a) we don’t have too many more restrictions, and b) that we can keep a lid on this better than Italy, and c) that these restrictions can be eased as soon as possible!
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Yes that's my take too.

Worried that the more people go out the less social distancing takes place generally.

The state parks have closed their campgrounds: https://www.parks.ca.gov/

NPS Public Health Updates:
    https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/pub...lth-update.htm

I don’t think fishing is any different than hiking, walking, running, playing golf, etc. I wouldn’t have any hesitation to go to a river or steam and fish. As long as the appropriate “social distancing” is observed, it is as responsible as any of the other named activities.

If you’re in San Fran you’d be a lot better off in the woods with a rod in your hand. It’s all getting to be a bit much. Forest service is still open for business - just checked the Lassen National Forest and most of those are showing open.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE...slowing-621145
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

In response to the original question it probably depends on the distance you plan to travel if it is a short distance and camping is isolated, although with the camp grounds closed that may problematic. The important thing is to limit contact with others. so if no gas stops, food stops or other interaction then maybe. Just read the WHO is saying the outbreak in Italy an Spain is bad because they did not take the virus serious until it was to late. To all stay safe.

As I was mentioning earlier, it’s not just social distancing that’s of concern. It is also of urgent importance that we do not add any more burden to our hospitals right now. That’s the problem in Italy, they became overwhelmed by the large surge in numbers. Our own heath care facilities are better prepared, but there are also some very serious shortages in terms of dealing with the expected number of people who will need hospitalization in the next couple of weeks. Especially concerning is the lack of PPE, and the increased likelihood that doctors and nurses will contract the virus; meaning less staff on hand when needed, as well as concern that staff will be inadvertently infecting other patients. I have a close friend who works as an emergency room doctor who is usually a very optimistic sort, and not the kind of guy who buckled under stress or pressure, and he was very clear in his conversation with me the other day that it’s a very bad time to “slip on a banana peel” (or have a car accident, etc).

We are all going to need to get out for some things, and I’m certainly going to “need” a bit of time in the river for my own mental health and well being. I think the point is to minimize every risk you take as much as humanly possible, and stay out of the hospitals for the coming weeks/months. Definitely a good time to drive a lot less, and drive a lot slower!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason makes some very good points. If you live near a state park that's still open for hiking, etc, then sure go ahead, but road trips really should be curtailed. Have you riden in a tow truck, even road side assistance isn't what it used to be.

I live within walking distance of the Kern, trust me, there are a lot of people in the areas that are not yet closed. Kids of all ages are out of school and parents don't know what to do with them, so in many areas, it more congested than normal and most haven't a clue what six feet is. I've never seen more dog crap in public areas / trailheads etc. than I'm seeing now.
    Others are there for the very reason that some of you feel the need to run for the hills and you know anglers, they talk about solitude but don't often practice it when they spy another angler, even in light of the current order.

So I choose, largely due to my age and because my wife is a clinician at a local med center to keep my distance and then some, by hiking alone in the open range adjacent to our home.

From a purely selfish perspective, I'd ask everyone to think about how dumb it would be at this point in time to turn up at a hospital emergency room with a fishing related injury, from broken ankles to a hook through an ear. My wifes team has been going seven days a week from the onset. If you have ears, you've heard how stretched supplies are. You don't know who else won't use there heads and stay in or around their homes, practicing social distancing. So when you show up at the screening / triage tent, you have no way of knowing what you'll come in contact with.

I know some angling guru's are still advocating fishng related travel, they'll likely continue to do so, until covid-19 takes someone they love.

Use your heads people, there will be many years of fishing to come.
    I say this with great admiration for this group, stay well guys and gals.

I just got back from the river., Pretty good morning. Campgrounds are closed and very few vehicles out there except at Pleasant Valley reservoir. I see no problems where I go but I avoid people even in normal times. What's the difference between walking for exercise and walking and wading for exercise. You still have to go to the store once in a while and that puts you at a lot more risk than fly fishing., BobK

Appreciate all the responses.

Given I'm on sf and would involve long ish drive away from family I'm not planning any trips until restrictions are lifted.

That said I can understand people closer to water who plan to get out - albeit per above there's some risk involved in that from broader perspective. Same risk as hiking I suppose.

That said feels like the time to delay short term gratification where possible.

Crazy times.

Stay safe all.

Meantime just ordered some next boxes from Kienes to organize flies and plan to finally do some tying at home between trying to work and home day care.

Steve