Thread: Pyramid Lake Report 3/12-17/2020

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pyramid Lake Report 3/12-17/2020

I camped and fished at Pyramid Lake for 5 days, had some good fishing a few evenings and some slow mornings/days in between. Predictably, the bite really turned on when the wind picked up. The best fishing was with gusts up to 50 mph. Never been at the lake when there's dust storms, it was a trip. Water clarity stayed fine fortunately. Hooked a lot of fish 2-8 lbs when the bite was on, mostly stripping beetles and got a few on midges.

Bob, I gave the indicator/floating shooting head rig a try with my Commando head and my 12’6" #6 weight, and really enjoyed being able to roll cast a bobber rig so far. Strangely though they seemed to be way more into chasing stripped flies than midges, which was not at all what I was expecting based on the reports and this time of year. I did hook a lot of fish my last day with a beetle/ midge combo under a bobber, but I was twitching and even stripping it slowly rather than letting it sit.

Kind of eery with the Coranavirus going on, when I arrived Thursday evening, overheard a lot of talk about it being a complete hoax, then day by day the tone changed drastically. By the time I left, Crosby's was talking about closing temporarily, I hope that's not the case. I've had trips to Pyramid where I've fished really hard for a fish or two over two days in the winter, so it was a lot of fun to be able to get into some fish, even if I didn't hook any monsters.

Good luck and hope everyone is being safe out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E462C33-67DB-48AE-8DD3-875AA45008DA.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	336.8 KB 
ID:	15492