Thread: Report from Baja Pirates of La Paz, Baja, Mexico

Default Report from Baja Pirates of La Paz, Baja, Mexico

Word of the week is Dorado, Dorado, Dorado.

We had 12 clients out for a day and a half this past week and they landed well over 50 Dorado. Small but plentiful providing lots of action very close to our docks. The spring time north winds are now subsiding and the water temperature is again climbing. Readings taken yesterday showed surface water temperatures in the 70 degree range. Outside air temperatures are in the mid 70's making for very pleasant days and cool nights. We have overcast skies most days and beautiful sunsets and sunrises. Next week we will be out chasing the Yellowtail and Snappers. Reports are very good for Yellowtail in the 25 to 35 pound range at local seamounts.

Presently the Corona virus hysteria hasn't affected Mexico too much.
    As of today Mexico has 41 confirmed cases and none of these are in southern Baja or La Paz making this the safest place in the world to travel right now. Flights were pretty much full last week into Cabo and spring break has begun.

La Paz had the annual national triathlon over this past weekend drawing thousands of spectators and athletes. Everybody is cautious here but its pretty much business as usual as presently we are still in a covid free zone.

We hope to see you soon! Until then Rico says:

Burritos and beer for lunch today. Lobster for dinner as its lobster season!

Come and enjoy the sun and fun.

Baja Pirates of La Paz

Got this in an email from veteran Loreto fly fisher Carl Blackledge.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

I liked what they said about Mexico being the safest place in the World right now...also the cheapest. Our place in Loreto is filling up fast. Mexico

Carl

I think that the Baja peninsula has always been a pretty quiet place except for a hand full of small coastal fishing villages.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I think that the Baja peninsula has always been a pretty quiet place except for a hand full of small coastal fishing villages.
    Simple rules -

Don't drive at night . Avoid big cities . Do dumb stuff , and trouble will find you .

Candida and I have driven our Daughter down 4 times now , her first trip was at the age of 5 Months . Never , ever any issues ....

D.~

Over my 50+ year career I had dozens of adventurous folks like our own David Lee and family who drive down to Baja.

Fred Gordon, Steve Rice and Pam use to drive down in the winter with Fred's big pickup and cab over camper.

Fred has an aluminum boat on top of the camper and a motor mounted on the rear of the camper.

They launched off the beach in the calm Sea of Cortez and caught many fish which they traded for vegetables to the locals.

Some of them stopped at our shop for supplies on their way down every year.

Herb Faber, of Arden Hills Country Club, use to take his boat to San Felipe and motored way down the inside 50 years ago.

He had places where he could meet up with natives to buy gasoline. Back then the gas was very bad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Wish I could have hoped on a plane a week or two ago, self quarantine in Mexico sounds pretty nice right now. A good Margarita on the beach at the end of the day must do something good I’d think?
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Wish I could have hoped on a plane a week or two ago, self quarantine in Mexico sounds pretty nice right now. A good Margarita on the beach at the end of the day must do something good I’d think?
    The roads are paved pretty much the whole way . Gas is available everywhere . Pesos are 19 or 20 to 1 USD . The people are very nice , and could use some tourist dollars . Fishing , in the 'right' spot .... is amazing .

All you need is the time to do it -

D.~