Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why fly fishing?

Same here. It's a mental break from the hustle and bustle of a very busy business. Secondly, I enjoy the beauty of being out in nature. I look around and enjoy my surrounding when I am out in the river. I like to take it in. Lastly, I enjoy the hunt. Like has been said numerous times, the fly selection, the needed near perfect cast and then (hopefully) . . . the take. A lot in common with golf to me, which I also thoroughly enjoy.

I used to kinda look forward to seeing people on the river and getting a chance to talk with them. I still do, but on a fewer occasions. I begin to see a few people, and I'm moving to the next spot that hasn't seen many flies.

Bob

One of the quotes from the late Robert Traver:
    “I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape."
    Best to all, stay safe,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Good question, it’s cost me a fortune

I’ve always had a fascination with it, I think it was the colour of the flies, and when a small boy I could afford a few flies with my pocket money. Then, for me, because it was difficult. With other fishing I caught plenty of fish without much effort where It took me 10-12 trips before I caught my first fish on a fly rod, that made me want to catch my second one and so on. 30+ years later and I’m still trying to catch my next one. Over the years I’ve had different ambitions, initially just to catch that first fish, then to catch more, then to catch lots, then the biggest, then moving into competition fishing to catch more than other people. I think there’s something about human behaviour that people always want more.

Same reasons that I bow hunt. BobK